Thread: Move and link folders in Windows with MoveAndLink / JunctionMaster

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Default Move and link folders in Windows with MoveAndLink / JunctionMaster

JunctionMaster is a shell extension and stand-alone application that will allow you to MOVE and LINK a folder in one easy step. It focuses on MOVING the folder, then replacing the original folder with a hard link (junction) to the new location. Windows (and the user) can reference the files at the same location as before, but the actual storage of them is on the other drive. It is handy for new hard drives, and also in the case of SSDs where you may wish to redirect some folders with lots of RW activity to a conventional HDD.

This product is in EARLY ALPHA STAGE DEVELOPMENT so take care!

Home Page: Bitsum.

How to relocate files and folders in Windows may also interest you!

UPDATE: 24.04.2011: The new name is MoveAndLink and the home page link is JM: Move and Link

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

For SSDs, one usually wants to move all the user folders to another drive. That is best accomplished with the Move operation in the Location tab of the folder (s) (not libraries) Properties (My Documents, My Music, etc.). Just make sure you move the folder to a named folder on the other disk - not to the disk address itself because that will create a mess with the default location.

jcollake is offline New Member

Default Updated and renamed

The first few alphas of this product were kind of crappy, and it is still in very early alpha. However, I found the time to get it together enough to where it is functioning very well, and has some new safeguards (though backup prior to use is still a mandatory recommendation).

I have a plan to bring it to v1.0 rather quickly with lots of UI polishing and a new little 'trick' to simplify things. If users would like to see this, make sure to let me know. It is a simple little utility, and will always be freeware, but I like to develop software that ends up being used .

Thanks. I won't include link in case this is considered spam. Oh, the new name: MoveAndLink

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Thanks jcollake! Update the links.