DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Thread: Control your computer's startups with free StartEd Lite

japp is offline Gold Member

Default Control your computer's startups with free StartEd Lite

Came across StartEd:

"StartEd is a Windows utility that helps you control of your computer's startup procedure. It recognizes obsolete or memory-hogging startup programs, and lets you safely disable them to increase your computer's performance. You can uninstall startup programs directly from StartEd.

StartEd also detects Trojan Horses, the most destructive and dangerous species of computer virus, and allows you to backup and restore your startup configurations.

StartEd displays detailed info about the functionality of every system service so that even novice users can manage their startup configurations. A warning message is displayed if a system service vital for the computer's stability is about to get disabled."

StartEd Lite is the free version and you can get it here: StartEd

What are the opinions of the more techically skilled persons about this program?

hackerman1 is offline Senior Member

i have no experience with "StartEd", but i suggest you install WinPatrol instead: BillP Studios - WinPatrol

WinPatrol gives you control over your startup configuration, and also watches for hidden installations when you install new software.

WinPatrol is a MUST-have program, it has saved my A-S-S more then once.

Quote Originally Posted by hackerman1 View Post
    i have no experience with "StartEd", but i suggest you install WinPatrol instead: BillP Studios - WinPatrol

WinPatrol gives you control over your startup configuration, and also watches for hidden installations when you install new software.

WinPatrol is a MUST-have program, it has saved my A-S-S more then once.
    Every time I get pointed to it and have alook at it, I feel it's overwhelming to me.

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

That looks like a useful program. Reminds me Soluto. The question is whether there is really a big impact as compared to a simple startup management with e.g. WinPatrol or even msconfig. Most modern systems have 4GBs or more and a few MBs of extra started programs do not make a big difference. The processes are mostly dormant anyhow unless they are really being used.

I once did the maximum deletion with Soluto and improved my startup time from 17 sec to 16 sec - not really a big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    That looks like a useful program. Reminds me Soluto. The question is whether there is really a big impact as compared to a simple startup management with e.g. WinPatrol or even msconfig. Most modern systems have 4GBs or more and a few MBs of extra started programs do not make a big difference. The processes are mostly dormant anyhow unless they are really being used.

I once did the maximum deletion with Soluto and improved my startup time from 17 sec to 16 sec - not really a big deal.

I believe I agree with you

hackerman1 is offline Senior Member

btw. how often do you coldstart ?

normally you would use hibernate / sleep-mode...

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

Well, I cold start every morning and then for the updates on the desktop and when the laptop is being moved to another location. I guess it is more frequent with laptops. But at 16 sec per start it is not a big deal. You do, however, need an SSD to get there.