Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Contest: Share your Windows 7 story -Win a Windows 7 license

StrayCat is offline Senior Member

Why I grew fond of Windows 7...

I was being quite satisfied running Windows XP Prof for about 8 years now on my desktop computer.
    Buying a portable one included having a pre-installed Windows 7 home premium which I ,to be honest,at first glance wasn't eager to use though,especially reading about some of the dreadful experiences people had with Vista...
    Of course the concept of Windows 7 was quite new to me 'cause I skipped Vista.
    So I even thought of formatting my drive and installing my Windows Xp Professional on it...but I sure am glad I postponed that.

Gradually I discovered some of the neat features of my 7.
    It started with typing the name of a program (or part of it) instead of looking in my start menu to start a program.
    And I was amazed to discover things such as the improved Snipping Tool,the look and feel of aero,the new Paint,the drive imaging feature..and even the Calculator!

My main argument to stick with (and enjoy) Windows 7 came unexpectedly.
    Not being able to access system restore in any way,or no other program for that matter, running the windows 7 repair cd solved all my problems accessing previous RP's and... really made my day.
    (and I stopped cursing the programmer of the program I was installing.LOL)

Btw I could click on every program including system restore, but I was told they were no valid win32 applications (...)

Sure,I could have restored an image of my system..but that was outdated,and I would have lost some valuable 'stuff'.
    And using the recovery partition I'd loose even more, going back to the factory preset...

What's more,I used to skin XP to the bone, but now I'm glad with the looks and feel of my 7,be it with some minor tweaks
    ...even though it's only a Home Premium Edition.

Of course this TWC forum sure is a nice place to be if you are running Windows 7 and looking for answers..

That's it from me.
    Last edited by StrayCat; 11th March 2010 at 11:49.

rkonit is offline Gold Member

gr8 initiative andy !!! it may unveil some cool stories.
    Im not sure about Windows 7, but the contest idea is definitely yours... thanks nitin.

saeed-c is offline New Member

Islam says you must use Copyright
    the story began a year ago. When I got to the 15 year. As Islam Says I must choose sb to sequacity from him. Who I chose says that You must do as copyright law says.
    It went until several months ago That I started to tribute copyright. Then I started search to buy windows seven original in Iran. But finding original windows in iran is as hard as finding Iranian games in your country.
    After searches I found Mehrsaman corporation which sells original softwares in Tehran( I am in Urmia) . But they said that windows seven boxes hadn't received yet and now we can give you OEM license only and after receiving the box we will send to you. I bought it.
    About 2 month ago I saw the iranian site ads which was selling original legal windows seven licenses just for 20$. I thought it is a good chance and I can change this license with people who buy windows for 300$. I bought it and want to exchange with someone with KIS,Office and other licenses worth more than 150$.But that person wanted to validate license. Then I started to search about windows licenses. And after opening topics,sending P.Ms, Emailing to Microsoft support and . I found that either the license as I bought as a OEM and the license I bought for 20$ is MSDN license, and I can't use this license( As I am not a MSDN subscriber)
    The person who I wanted to exchange licenses with him said to me that you are liar and said that you can't use my licenses( although he had sent the licenses with P.M earlier I didn't use the licenses- He gave the permission to use KIS license)
    Then I called the Mehrsaman that I want to pay more money and buy Retail Box Windows Seven Ultimate. But they said that we think because of the eariler experiment with you we don't want to sell you anything we will give back the money.
    Now I am using the MSDN license I bought for 20$ and searching for a box Retail or legal license.
    ================================================== ==
    If the word count isn't acceptable please say to me.
    This is the real story and I can prove it easily.
    My mother language isn't english so I think I have grammatical mistakes.Forgive it.
    Last edited by saeed-c; 11th March 2010 at 18:15.

kanttii is offline New Member

From deviantART to The Windows Club for Right Click Extender.. and then I saw this contest and what it could provide me as a student when continuing studies and moving out of home, because I don't know if I'm able to use home license then.

Title: From Scepticism to Amazement
    After using Windows XP for 6 years in Fall 2008 I was sceptic when I heard that a new major version of Windows will be published to the public in few years. Still, the leaked screenshots and deeper details impressed me as XP user. I have avoided Vista (we call it Visva - a Finnish word, means something rotten; pus in english) and thought 7 would be something like it.

And it was - but in positive way! Windows 7 has neat visual experience with good performance and small requirements for current PC's. Even our 6- & 3-years-old PC’s were able to run it without and with Aero and good performance. Now I have a self-built extreme PC - Win 7 runs perfectly in 32- & 64-bit mode and games like Far Cry 2 & GTA4 smoothly with no lag.

Back to the story. I got the RC when it was published last spring, and used it for half a year until end of October when RTM came to public. I have to admit it’s Microsoft’s yet best OS after Windows XP’s reign. It’s easier to use, nearly as customizable as XP (yet), and support new technologies, devices and software better than Vista or XP. I’ve been sifting between 7 and XP, little by little using only Windows 7.

Amazing work, Microsoft! Amazing work, all us third party customizers & tweakers! Let’s party
    Last edited by kanttii; 14th March 2010 at 14:51.

koti is offline New Member

Post windows 7 GREAT EXPERIENCE

Really windows 7 is great while not only in looking also in performence.
    I love it because of its aero feature..An intresting one is no need to search for s/w for perticular hardware(not 100%). Error reports and problem solving is very efficient.I am very much attracted with task bar and also with the new thambnail preview at task bar.action center notifies what is we lagging in performence and security..and also directx and no need of frame works .and maximizing and restoring windows when dragging to edges .
    plcing half of window when moves to any side of desk top ..
    and also fast shutdown and start up so i like windows 7.

so i need move to full version of windows from RC.
    hope I can win
    Last edited by koti; 15th March 2010 at 15:59.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

A total of 44 stories submitted; here and at TWC post ...

nitinagarwal1988 is offline Microsoft MVP

Nice .......work of Judges will gonna be slighter hard.... all stories are very interesting here.....hope to get some more before the contest ends

RafaelSCT is offline Beginner

I was worried what would imagine about Windows 7 because I had already disappointed with Windows Vista, but things began to change listing from days I tested the version RC at first I was a little worried but it was from there on this incredible OS began to amaze me ...
    Some things that surprised me was the great compatibility with most programs, its stability, and its power ... look at the some innovations also pleased me very much like the Aero Peek other added features are also useful as BitLocker, I could spend hours praising this OS that surely was the best ever created!

Thank you for this great giveaway and i hope win...

Gaurav is offline New Member

The new Windows eXPerience

I have been a fanboy since Windows 95. XP has been a favorite for as long as I can remember. Vista was not exactly perfect as nearly everyone feels. I was dead worried about the direction in which Windows was going.

My experience with Windows 7 started when Microsoft started their E7 engineering blog. That blog gave me insight into how Microsoft builds Windows. It impressed me with the level of thoughtfulness and rationale that goes into the decisions the teams make to please as many users as possible and bring whole OS together.

Right from the earliest builds to RTM, it has been a smooth ride. There are innumerable small enhancements everywhere that delight you. Sure, the new taskbar, HomeGroup, desktop slideshow, Libraries, SSD TRIM support, updated accessories are all features nice to have. But for me, the single most feature that nailed it down was the improvement to Start > Search. Although it debuted in Vista, it wasn’t as comprehensive and pervasive as it is in Windows 7.

I never have to go browsing through long lists of settings, media or my documents. Simply type a few letters, and the OS magically manages to find everything I am looking for. Install more iFilters and it becomes even more powerful. I just can't stress enough how much this single development has changed my daily use of computers.
    Last edited by Gaurav; 19th March 2010 at 09:13.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

A total of around 47 stories posted here and at TWC.

Will close contest tomorrow. Any more want to try their luck at winning the W7 license?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast