Thread: Microsoft Should Release Internet Explorer for Linux.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Angry Microsoft Should Release Internet Explorer for Linux.

Market share for Internet Explorer continues to plummet, with potentially dire consequences for Microsoft. But there's one way Microsoft can help stem its overall losses: Release a version of IE for Linux. It's not as far-fetched an idea as you might think.

According to the latest figures from Net Applications, the market share for IE is at 67.6%, the lowest it has been since Net Applications began measuring browser share in 2005. Just as alarming is that Windows overall market share is dropping as well, Net Applications says. The company says that 88.3% of people who browse Web sites use Windows. That market share has been steadily declining.

An estimated 10 million netbooks were sold in 2008, and an estimated 30% of all of them ran Linux. That translates to 3 million people using Linux rather than Windows, and a browser other than Internet Explorer.

By releasing a Linux version of Internet Explorer, Microsoft could do itself a great deal of good. All netbook users would have the choice of running IE, and many would. Many people buying Linux-based netbooks do so not because they have an affinity for Linux or a dislike of Windows, but for a much simpler reason: Linux-based netbooks tend to be cheaper than Windows-based ones. They would not be predisposed against running IE. Given that many probably run IE at work, they may favor it over Firefox on netbooks.

Source : PCWorld.

Maybe it is time for Microsoft to take the battle into the 'enemy' camp !

seti is offline Member

Yes most definately they should after all people have taken the fight to Microsoft in the name of competition. And while we are about it let's remember that IE still has the biggest market share even in the open market so it must be doing something right...Sorry I am just getting fed up of lets have another go at Microsoft

nitinagarwal1988 is offline Microsoft MVP

ya i also agree... a version of IE for linux must be release to increase the IE users again. but dont u think if IE is available for linux.....then it will effects the share of windows users???? as then why the web apps developing companies or onine marketing company and cyber owner moves to linux as IE is available there ???? because somehow due to IE many users use windows......

leofelix is offline Member

Is PC World joking?
    I cannot figure out a similar "porting" (I don't know how translate, sorry)
    However thanks to WINE http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wine_(software)
    is possible to use IE with Ubuntu Linux for instance as you know

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

I am definitely a fan of the IE. But I wonder how --- would make money on a Linux version of the IE to offset the development, maintenance and distribution cost. Market share is pretty useless if you can't earn any money with it - at least if you are a commercial outfit like Microsoft.

alevin46 is offline Beginner

Hello Friends......

By releasing a Linux version of Internet Explorer, Microsoft could do itself a great deal of good. All netbook users would have the choice of running IE, and many would. Many people buying Linux-based netbooks do so not because they have an affinity for Linux or a dislike of Windows, but for a much simpler reason: Linux-based netbooks tend to be cheaper than Windows-based ones. They would not be predisposed against running IE. Given that many probably run IE at work, they may favor it over Firefox on netbooks.

Thanks