DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Am I too far behind or is MS too far ahead?

Digerati is offline Windows Enthusiast

Wrong !
    It crashed my computer, BSOD...
    Twice !
    And yet it is working great for 10s of millions of other users - which suggests the problem is with your system and not IE10.

Quote Originally Posted by Digerati
    Do note for the record that since IE8, Internet Explorer has continued to excel over the alternatives in security with social engineering based malware - the most prolific kind.
    Please explain what you mean.
    I mean exactly what I said. HOWEVER, I am not here to start of browser war because it really does not matter, as long as the user otherwise keeps their systems secure by keeping it updated, use a decent anti-malware solution and avoid being click happy - things users must do, regardless their browser of choice.

My point is, we cannot use security as an excuse to avoid (or bash) IE anymore - as much as it appears you want to.

There is atleast one good reason to not using IE: there is no easy way of blocking javascript.
    Yes, you can turn off javascript, but there is no way to allow javascript selectively, on "trusted" webbsites.
    Huh? Sure you can. You move those sites into your trusted zone. But there really is no need to do that - unless you regularly visit malicious sites.

hackerman1 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digerati View Post
    And yet it is working great for 10s of millions of other users - which suggests the problem is with your system and not IE10.
    Iīm not the only one having problems, google and you will see.....

I mean exactly what I said. HOWEVER, I am not here to start of browser war because it really does not matter, as long as the user otherwise keeps their systems secure by keeping it updated, use a decent anti-malware solution and avoid being click happy - things users must do, regardless their browser of choice.

My point is, we cannot use security as an excuse to avoid (or bash) IE anymore - as much as it appears you want to.
    Does not matter which browser you use ???
    One of the biggest security-threats to a user is "drive-by shooting".
    Of course it matters.
    Since there is no easy way to selectively run javascript on selected webbsites in IE, locigally both Firefox and Opera are safer regarding dangerous javascripts.

Do note for the record that since IE8, Internet Explorer has continued to excel over the alternatives in security with social engineering based malware - the most prolific kind.
    You "mean what you said" ?
    Good, but you havenīt explained what you meant.
    How is IE excelling over other browsers ?

And, i donīt "want to bash IE", iīm just telling you the (hard) facts....

Huh? Sure you can. You move those sites into your trusted zone.
    How ?
    I have searched for info regarding running javascript on selected webbsites, but have not found any info.
    The only thing i have found are a lot of people reqesting this....

But there really is no need to do that - unless you regularly visit malicious sites.
    Btw, do you know what "drive-by shooting" is ?
    Last edited by hackerman1; 4th August 2013 at 14:19.

Digerati is offline Windows Enthusiast

Yes, I know what drive-by shooting is. I also know what socially engineered malware is. Do you? And I know that this is not your thread and it has now been driven way OT. But one last time, I say again, it does not matter which browser you use, as long as you keep it, the OS, and your system current, use a good security solution (anti-malware and firewall, as a minimum), and you, the user and ALWAYS the weakest security link, are not click-happy. The same things you must do, regardless your browser of choice.

If IE was as bad as you portend it is, there would be 100s of millions of infected machines out there. And we know that is not the case.

Of course you are not the only one. You are not that special!

I recommend you, and anyone interested in security sign up for the Department of Homeland Security's US-CERT Cyber Security Bulletin Vulnerability Summaries. Go back through the archives for the last few years and you see Firefox, by far has had more newly discovered vulnerabilities than IE or Chrome.

The ONLY reason anyone needs to change browsers is because they like the look and feel of the alternative - and not security.

gramma is offline New Member

Yes it's the BSOD issue that I've read about so much at other forums that has kept me from 10. I've never had one (BSOD) & wouldn't know what to do if I did, mainly due to the fact that I don't have any 'back ups' on here other than the 4 disks I made when I 1st got my PC (eMachine) in Feb. of last year. I don't know how to make a back up.
    I tried Firefox twice & do not like it. I do like IE. I do have Avast & MBAM, do pretty much keep up with MS Updates, & am not "click happy", also use WOT before I do check out some sites. I'm running Windows 7 64 bit.

DustinH is offline Senior Member

The only problems I've had with IE10 have been compatibility issues with older applications (ThinVNC and other applications internal to our company). This has nothing to do with the browser itself. It is old programming on the website side. Compatibility mode fixes most of these issues. I have yet to downgrade anyone, though.

On a personal side, I have not had a single issue with IE10 (or 11, for that matter, in Win8.1). All the sites I frequently go to work perfectly.

edee is offline Windows Enthusiast

Just the sort of answer I would expect from a Microsoft MVP. One thing I hate is a know-it-all, pompous, arrogant IT person.

First off, while IE10 works fine for "10s of millions of others" does not mean there are not problems with it, I too had problems getting IE10 to work, I too went to the MS Support site in search of help and answers, and guess what? ...... I got none. IE 10 may work fine on generic store bought computers, it is those with custom builds and installs like me that have the problems. Even when I did get IE 10 installed through Windows updates I found it to be clumsy, slow and bloated, this on a system with a dual core processor and 8gigs of ram, I wound up reverting back to the better, more stable browser .... IE9

About a month ago I did a clean install of Windows, the very first thing I did was to remove Internet Explorer all together, I downloaded Pale Moon x64 and have not looked back since, I consider this a smart move, my computer is more stable and runs smoother and faster, my internet browsing is considerably faster, and I also consider it a wise move considering Microsoft's dealings with the NSA lately, who knows what Internet Explorer may be reporting back to the NSA.

The next time you want to blame Microsoft's "shortcomings" on someone else, you may want to re think before you shove your foot in your mouth, the end - all - be - all does not lie with Microsoft and just because you are a Microsoft "MVP" does not make you some sort of "computer guru", I know plenty of others without the glorified title that would put most Microsoft MVP's to shame.
    Last edited by edee; 10th August 2013 at 17:59.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12