Thread: Windows 7 is The Final Name of Microsoft’s Next OS!

tweakwindows is offline Microsoft MVP

Thumbs up Windows 7 is The Final Name of Microsoft’s Next OS!

Microsoft has officially announced the name of its next operating system -Windows 7! Yes, you heard it right. We knew that it’s the code name of next operating system, but here, the code name has turned into the real name.

According to Mike Nash (Corporate VP, Windows Product Management) “The decision to use the name Windows 7 is about simplicity. Over the years, we have taken different approaches to naming Windows. We’ve used version numbers like Windows 3.11, or dates like Windows 98, or “aspirational” monikers like Windows XP or Windows Vista. And since we do not ship new versions of Windows every year, using a date did not make sense. Likewise, coming up with an all-new “aspirational” name does not do justice to what we are trying to achieve, which is to stay firmly rooted in our aspirations for Windows Vista, while evolving and refining the substantial investments in platform technology in Windows Vista into the next generation of Windows.

Simply put, this is the seventh release of Windows, so therefore “Windows 7″ just makes sense.”
    via[intowindows]

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Yes, Windows 7 sounds good.

This thread makes an interesting read about the earlier Windows versions and the confusion !

"Simply put, this is the seventh release of Windows, so therefore 'Windows 7' just makes sense," Nash added.

But I'm confused (as are others) about the version count here. Nash does, in his post, mention Windows 98, Windows XP and Windows Vista as representing different approaches to naming previous versions of the OS (since the last version based on an actual version number, Windows 3.11).

So you could guess that Microsoft viewed Windows 98 as version 4, Windows XP as version 5, and Windows Vista as version 6. But that would mean skipping Windows 95, surely one of the most trumpeted OS debuts ever. And what about ME and 2000? Microsoft might wish it had skipped ME, but 2000 was an important release.

Personally, I'm thinking maybe Nash was mentally combining Win95 and Win98 as version 4. But anyway you count, it's tough to figure out how the next release of Windows is the seventh.