DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Thread: The PC World Challenge: 72 Hours of Windows 7!

dmudgal is offline Windows Enthusiast

Default The PC World Challenge: 72 Hours of Windows 7!

The Challenge
    Switch from Windows Vista to Windows 7 completely. No going back to work with compatible programs. No jumping ship if a driver keeps you away from your Warhammer Online character. No tears. Windows 7 is your new home for 72 hours, starting from your initial download of the software.

The Spoiler
    Microsoft doesn't know how to manage digital downloads. Nor does Microsoft know how to title its own applications--this isn't Windows 7, not by any means. It's Windows Vista SP2.

The Tribulation
    Having completed my 72 hours in Windows 7 land, I'm going to adopt the same mindset and cap the writing of this post at one hour's length. Having seen no less than 40 different articles about Windows 7 over the past three days (if not three months), I'm not about to bore you with a list of the 89 most important features Windows 7 brings to the table. What I am going to chat about is what the actual process of jumping to Windows 7 is like. What happens? How do the new features of Windows 7 affect the general usage patterns of an operating system? What's the speed like?

Why would I buy this to replace Vista?............Continue Reading @ Source.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Windows 7 bashing has begun ... already !?

Excerpt from the last para/s :
    Windows 7 is not a new operating system. It's SP2. Rightly, it's what Vista should have been. A mainstay of the new experiences you will actually encounter are cosmetic in design or function. Had Microsoft the gall, it would release Windows 7 as a free upgrade for Windows Vista users. It's not going to, nor can I see the software giant doing anything but slapping a standard pricing model on this "brand-new" OS. It'll be curious to see what this does to Vista support, given the inherent similarity between the two platforms. I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft officially killed Vista development and made Windows 7 its default, go-to operating system. Sounds crazy? Eh. So is the hype around this operating system. As for me? I think I'll go back to Vista...

Whether Win7 is simply a new avatar of Vista or not ... it is a move in the right direction and that is what that matters

seti is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by HappyAndyK View Post
    Windows 7 bashing has begun ... already !?

Excerpt from the last para/s :
    Windows 7 is not a new operating system. It's SP2. Rightly, it's what Vista should have been. A mainstay of the new experiences you will actually encounter are cosmetic in design or function. Had Microsoft the gall, it would release Windows 7 as a free upgrade for Windows Vista users. It's not going to, nor can I see the software giant doing anything but slapping a standard pricing model on this "brand-new" OS. It'll be curious to see what this does to Vista support, given the inherent similarity between the two platforms. I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft officially killed Vista development and made Windows 7 its default, go-to operating system. Sounds crazy? Eh. So is the hype around this operating system. As for me? I think I'll go back to Vista...

Whether Win7 is simply a new avatar of Vista or not ... it is a move in the right direction and that is what that matters
    I wondered how long it would be! Opinion not fact that is what put me off Vista until I tried it myself and like everyone else loved it. Just a personal view but is there an anti microsoft thing going on View should be base on months of usage not days

I agree windows 7 is not a complete new OS that has been built from the scratch but the measure of improvement and the introduction of so many new features can not be labeled as a mere Service Pack. What else do we want. For me, it's a nice OS to use.

kapblp is offline New Member

I have to admit there is truth to what the person says. Vista was not the travesty of justice everyone makes it out to be. People who are not smart enough to form their own opinions assume that is true since the heard said so. But it was problematic and 7 has the feel of more of an vista 1.5 than a new product altogether. Proof of that is that thankfully most vista drivers work just fine in 7. But the fact that 7 is better and is what vista should have been from this person's perspective makes the statement that he/she will be returning to vista laughable. That is like saying, Coke Classic is what New Coke should have been so for that reason I will be drinking the inferior product out of spite.

What he should have argued was, 7 will not be worth a premium price and should be a free upgrade to vista owners. Or at least be priced like a minor upgrade like $49.99 or something like that. He won't win that argument but it makes more sense to say that and then conclude that it's not different enough to warrant paying extra for it so I will wait till I get a new machine with 7 on it. Which, if I wasn't a TechNet subscriber is exactly what I'd likely do after using 7 for a while.

Conclusion: Vista must not be that bad if he's returning to it and someone like me would not pay extra for 7 had I not already had access via TechNet.

Quote Originally Posted by kapblp View Post

What he should have argued was, 7 will not be worth a premium price and should be a free upgrade to vista owners. Or at least be priced like a minor upgrade like $49.99 or something like that. He won't win that argument but it makes more sense to say that and then conclude that it's not different enough to warrant paying extra for it so I will wait till I get a new machine with 7 on it. Which, if I wasn't a TechNet subscriber is exactly what I'd likely do after using 7 for a while.

Conclusion: Vista must not be that bad if he's returning to it and someone like me would not pay extra for 7 had I not already had access via TechNet.
    I agree that many people might not wanna purchase windows 7 instead would return to Vista bcoz of that price factor. It wud be nice if MS keeps it a bit low on the price of 7 on release. This will really encourage buyers and on the opposite discourage piracy.

roraniel is offline Gold Member

I do hope they come through with the discount for upgrade from Vista.

I would think they would make a mint just upgrading all Vista users for a minimal fee and then making Windows 7 the standard for new PC's.

seti is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by roraniel View Post
    I do hope they come through with the discount for upgrade from Vista.

I would think they would make a mint just upgrading all Vista users for a minimal fee and then making Windows 7 the standard for new PC's.
    I completely agree you with since I think that the majority of buyers would at first be those who have Vista and they should make it the standard for New PCs. Where I live people are still buying pcs with xp on because of the price of Vista, so perhaps microsoft should kill off xp completely and go for 7 in a big way

mariotrz is offline Beginner

Default Vista or 7 ??

Why one would think that MS would do something different with 7 that they didn't do with their last 6 or 7 OS's?
    7 will replace Vista, that replaced XP, that replaced 2000, that replaced Me, that replaced 98, that replaced 95....
    With the exception of Me, each one was better than the previous one, no matter what some critics said.
    Plus : considering the last 3 mentioned, probably this is the first one that does not require better hardware. Maybe that's why people are saying that 7 really isn't a new system, but should be considered as a SPx for Vista.
    mario

kapblp is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by mariotrz View Post
    Plus : considering the last 3 mentioned, probably this is the first one that does not require better hardware. Maybe that's why people are saying that 7 really isn't a new system, but should be considered as a SPx for Vista.
    mario
    I think the reason people are saying that its not that different is that cosmetically it is not that different. And the hardware underpinnings seem to be similar since so many Vista drivers work on 7. They just got smart and made things leaner and meaner. And the cosmetic differences are actually functional as well.