DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows 7 Editions Announced

Corrine is offline Gold Member

Default Windows 7 Editions Announced

Although additional "sku's" are available, Microsoft is anticipating that two versions of Windows 7 will meet the needs of most people. Those two versions are Windows 7 Home Premium and Windows 7 Professional.

Security Garden: Windows 7 Editions Announced

James is offline Microsoft MVP

Grrrr.....you beat me to it, Corrine!

Sorry, James. Will this help sooth the wounds?

---> Linky to James Post <---

BTW, apologies for the link to my blog post. I don't do that often. However, after spending a solid hour (at least) deciding what I wanted to blog about the announcement, how I wanted to present it, and then putting it together . . . well, you get the picture.

James is offline Microsoft MVP

OK...we'll overlook it this time.
    I know what you mean though: why create a blog-like post when you can just paste a link and post that? I'm sure Anand will add this item to the main site page soon, given the time difference and all.

Thanks, James.

Although Microsoft envisions only two editions for the home consumer (Windows 7 Home Premium and Windows 7 Professional), I'm sure there will still be some confusion.

MJ had interesting information that I have seen speculated but she is indicating it as "official":

Finally, for XP users who’ve skipped Vista and are wondering whether they’ll be able to get upgrade pricing when moving straight to Windows 7, the answer is “Yes, we can!” The official statement, from a Microsoft spokesperson: “Customers can purchase upgrade media and an upgrade license to move from Windows XP to Windows 7; however, they will need to do a clean installation of Windows 7.” (Microsoft still isn’t ready to talk pricing, but at least you know now you won’t have to buy a full license.)
    From: Microsoft’s Windows 7 line-up: The good, the bad and the ugly | All about Microsoft | ZDNet.com

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Hers is mine : Microsoft : Windows 7 to be available in 6 versions

All us MVPs are privy to some info by Microsoft and we are required to abide by the 'time embargo' Mine was ready and posted just after 3rd Feb, 09 12:00pm PST or 4th Feb 01:30 hrs IST.

But did you notice that it was ALL OVER the net almost 6 hours BEFORE MS officially declared this! Obviously someone broke the NDA and leaked this info to the other well-known but 'non-MVP' sites ... or maybe some MS employee did so...

alsiladka is offline Senior Member

Yeah, it was up at Paul's site long before the announcements actually took place!

Although it was good that they axed the Home Basic edition, i hope the keep the norms for Starter edition stricter. Otherwise it could become the OS all the budget laptops ship with, and since people are not aware of the different versions, could spoil all the good work MS has done on Windows 7!

Just hope the pricing is actually competitive this time!

iMav is offline Gold Member

Home basic lives. For emering markets only.

tweakwindows is offline Microsoft MVP

I was expecting only two or three Windows 7 editions.

seti is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Corrine View Post
    Although additional "sku's" are available, Microsoft is anticipating that two versions of Windows 7 will meet the needs of most people. Those two versions are Windows 7 Home Premium and Windows 7 Professional.

Security Garden: Windows 7 Editions Announced
    So we've back to the xp versions then? no Ultimate like with Vista and the beta version of 7 or is there

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast