Thread: Europe to get Windows 7 sans browser

Corrine is offline Gold Member

Default Europe to get Windows 7 sans browser

Quite the scoop by Ina Fried:

Microsoft plans to remove Internet Explorer from the versions of Windows 7 that it ships in Europe, CNET News has learned.

Reacting to antitrust concerns expressed by European regulators, Microsoft plans to offer a version in Europe that has the browser removed. Computer makers would then have the option to add the browser back in, ship another browser or ship multiple browsers, according to a confidential memo that was sent to PC makers and seen by CNET News.

"To ensure that Microsoft is in compliance with European law, Microsoft will be releasing a separate version of Windows 7 for distribution in Europe that will not include Windows Internet Explorer," the software maker said in the memo. "Microsoft will offer IE8 separately and free of charge and will make it easy and convenient for PC manufacturers to preinstall IE 8 on Windows 7 machines in Europe if they so choose. PC manufacturers may choose to install an alternative browser instead of IE 8, and has always been the case, they may install multiple browsers if they wish."
    See the complete story at Europe to get Windows 7 sans browser

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Microsoft did not want anything to come in the way of its Windows 7 launch, hence I suppose it must have been compelled to take such a fast decision on the subject.

"Windows 7 will be offered in Europe in all of the versions that will be available here in the United States, both 32- and 64-bit, with an “E” at the end of the product name (for instance, Windows 7 Home Premium E). The E versions of Windows 7 will ship at the same time as Windows 7 ships in the rest of the world, and they will be available in 23 European languages."

seti is offline Member

Once again the Monolith that is the EU imposes things, and we who are in Europe but not part of the EU will have to follow Perhaps we could get MS to do a version for non-EU member states I have never seen a problem with this, if you don't want to use IE then don't it is that simple or is that just me

leofelix is offline Member

Thanks Corrine,
    I think the pronouncement of UE is ridicolous and absurd.
    Who do not want to use IE can simply use another browser.
    There no exists an Operating System delivered without a browser, I cannot see why Windows 7 couldn't come with a Microsoft browser.
    (And I am a firefox user)

I dont think Mozilla/Opera are satisfied with this step (read somewhere). They want instead that alternate browser/s should instead be installed on the PCs before shipping or some sort of an option be given to the users to install browsers of their choice. Currently, the OEMs are free to install any browser on the machines before shipping So the problem may be faced only by the common man who buys the RTM version without any browser and then doesnt know how/where to start browsing.

seti is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by HappyAndyK View Post
    I dont think Mozilla/Opera are satisfied with this step (read somewhere). They want instead that alternate browser/s should instead be installed on the PCs before shipping or some sort of an option be given to the users to install browsers of their choice. Currently, the OEMs are free to install any browser on the machines before shipping So the problem may be faced only by the common man who buys the RTM version without any browser and then doesnt know how/where to start browsing.
    Just one thing Andy, is an OEM version of 7 going to be available soon, because that is why my version of Vista is. I personally can't see what Mozilla and Opera are about, seems like a bit of childish behaviour. Perhaps one way that MS could resolve this is to have them placed as alternative packages with 7 and then consumers would then choose.

^The OEM version too will be available at the same time. However those who buy a Vista OEM, after around 26th June would be entitled to (a free?) or a discounted Windows 7 upgrade, I remember reading ...

knightrider™ is offline Gold Member

This is a bad idea atleast they coudl have embedded with IE 8 right what wil be new users download fromnet if they don have net they need to have the installers with them previously in hard drive or USB disk

nitinagarwal1988 is offline Microsoft MVP

I don't understand what's the problem is with this european committee, they think they are more smarter and restrict Microsoft by forcing such foolish legalities. I don't understand what's the problem if Microsoft bundles both IE with Windows. both are MS products and MS have full right to do anything with them. And its the loss for European customers if they purchase N Edition of Windows 7.

Well in this case i think the Bill Gates is the person who never bow in front of anyone, till he was at MS , Windows and IE rules the Market but what happens to steve ballmer.....now there is option to uninstall IE from Windows and even Windows7 will available without the IE in market........in BillG era Micrsoft is called as Software Gaint but i don't think MS will retain this position more if MS continously compromising with such committees.......

Microsoft does not needs them but they need Microsoft's Products.