DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Thread: Win 7 Anytime Upgrade prices announced, EU & UK ripped off

knightrider™ is offline Gold Member

Default Win 7 Anytime Upgrade prices announced, EU & UK ripped off

Microsoft today unveiled pricing for Windows Anytime Upgrade (WAU) and the Windows 7 Family Pack.

Windows Anytime Uprade

WAU allows users who purchase machines with Home Premium or Starter to move up to a higher edition of Windows 7. After Windows 7 is released to market on October 22nd, you will be able to buy a retail package that contains an upgrade key from retail outlets. The pricing structure will be (US, EU, GBP):

* Windows 7 Starter to Windows 7 Home Premium: $79.99 · €74.99 · £69.99
    * Windows 7 Starter to Windows 7 Professional: $114.99 · €184.99 · £119.99
    * Windows 7 Starter to Windows 7 Ultimate: $164.99 · €204.99 · £139.99
    * Windows 7 Home Premium to Windows 7 Professional: $89.99 · €179.99 · £119.99
    * Windows 7 Home Premium to Windows 7 Ultimate: $139.99 · €189.99 · £124.99
    * Windows 7 Professional to Windows 7 Ultimate: $129.99 · €134.99 · £84.99

Updated: The upgrade pricing for UK customers appears to be a rip off where Brits and Europeans will be charged almost double for Windows 7 Anytime Upgrades. Microsoft has not yet returned emails on why the pricing is almost double. It's not immediately clear how Microsoft can charge double for what is only a code to upgrade.

Microsoft will also be offering WAU online upgrades in 13 countries: Australia, Belgium, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, the Netherlands, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, the UK or the US.

Windows 7 Family Pack

Microsoft also announced that the Windows 7 Family Pack will be available on October 22 and priced at $149.99 in the US and $199.99 in Canada for three Windows 7 Home Premium licenses. Consumers will save $200 in the US by purchasing the Family Pack over individual copies. Microsoft did not supply pricing for markets other than the US and Canada.

source :neowin

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

Why EU & UK. The UK is part of the EU - unfortunately, because they really don't want to be in the EU. They don't even have the Euro currency like all other eligible EU countries.

nitinagarwal1988 is offline Microsoft MVP

Check the screenshots of Windows Anytime Upgrade Experience for Windows 7....
    The Windows Anytime Upgrade Experience for Windows 7 | Windows 7 Blog

goranilic is offline Beginner

I would need only 2! It comes the same with price of 3 or 2?

seti is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    Why EU & UK. The UK is part of the EU - unfortunately, because they really don't want to be in the EU. They don't even have the Euro currency like all other eligible EU countries.
    Most sensible people would want to be part of the EUand have the Euro. Unfortunately there are many people who get voted into power and who think that we are part of the US and still have an empire. While we are not in the EU here on the Isle of Man, we accept the Euro in many places, particularly during TT and I would have no problem being part of it completely. As with this pricing it does prove there are advantages and disadvantages in all things

whs

Seti, that is interesting. I assumed that the Isle of Man was part of the EU - I wonder why you are not. Must be rather difficult for trade, etc. I bet the Brits now realize that it would be good to have the Euro. The pound seems to be loosing value every day.

seti is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    Seti, that is interesting. I assumed that the Isle of Man was part of the EU - I wonder why you are not. Must be rather difficult for trade, etc. I bet the Brits now realize that it would be good to have the Euro. The pound seems to be loosing value every day.
    We are an independant part of the British Isles, with our own government and own coinage, although it is still the pound. The UK acts for us in Europe through affilation under Protocle 3 of the Treaty of Rome. Trade is not directly effected to us as our biggest trade in finance. However, with the pound/Euro rate being what it is, it actually helped the many from Europe who come here for example the TT races. Persoanlly I still feel that as an Island we should say b....it to the UK and join Europe as full members thus making ourselves more attractive for business. The UK will one day become a full member and I have just caught a news report saying that the Euro was accepted in more and places in the UK as every day currency!

whs

Seti, if I were a few years younger, I would come to see the TT. It sounds like an interesting place and now it seems to be affordable. I think it is good that you are able to keep your distance from the UK. As far as I can tell, their interests are not really focussed on Europe.