Thread: Message - Windows is shutting down !!!

goranilic is offline Beginner

Default Message - Windows is shutting down !!!

OK, first I am sorry to post this here, but cannot think about it right now.

Well last a couple of days I have a problem when I try to reboot or turn off my VAIO Windows XP Professional SP3 32 - bit laptop, it's freeze when it comes to the point it should turn OFF.

Message "Windows is shutting down" hangs on the screen and .... nothing is happening.

It doesn't do it every time thou, but it is doing very offten!!!

Help please!!!!
    Thx,

Gor

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Maybe one of your services or process is not shutting down properly. Try to identify when this issue occurs and then maybe you could isolate that process.

Also see if Download details: User Profile Hive Cleanup Service helps you.

Or else then it could also be a hardware problem ...

I was hoping that, according to name of this Forum, this is best place to reach for help

robertwnielsen is offline Beginner

I remember my Windows XP system getting that message often....99 times out of 100 that it popped up, there was a virus of some kind on my system. You might want to also run a virus/malware check to see if there's anything infecting your system.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

If that is simply the error message you get, then have you tried the hive cleanup suggestion? Has it helped? Or not? Have you tried to work with identifying which services may be hindering a proper shutdown?

As touched upon by robert, if you get a message which goes something like : " ... Isass.exe error ...terminated unexpectedly ... system will shutdown and restart in 60 secs....", then it could have been the the lovesan or blaster or sasser virus. But I think this issue was taken care of by SP2; and I see that you are running SP3.

Anyway, run your virus scan at boot time or safe mode using deep-scan modes.

You may use a XP tweaker to reduce the waiting time to end non-responding services / apps dusing shutdown and see if it helps.

OK, one more time computer just freezes sometimes (yesterday again) when I turn it OFF. I scanned with A2 {resident (thank you TWC)}, also have Prevx3 real-time. On demand scans - MBAM and SAS. SpywareBlaster - active! Nothing found.
    I downloaded Advanced SystemCare yesterday, and still exploring... i beleive there's button to shut down comp, is that what you talking about?
    Thx,
    Gor

---------- Post added at 11:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:22 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by HappyAndyK View Post
    Have you tried to work with identifying which services may be hindering a proper shutdown?
    How to do this?