Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Word 2007 Delete selective headers only (not footers)

xenatorres is offline New Member

Default Word 2007 Delete selective headers only (not footers)

Hello.

I am trying to format a novel for self publishing on lulu.com. I need to have the whole novel in one doc.

I have formatted the book at present into three sections using the section break feature. Section 2 (the story) has the page numbers (from 1 to end of the book). Sections 1 and 3 have no page numbers.

I want to add headers to section 2. I need to have the book title on even number pages and author name on odd. I can figure this out. I can also make this happen in section 2 only.

My issue is I need to selectively delete the headers on the opening of chapters pages ONLY. ie: Page one says "Prologue" - I do not want a header on this page, but I want the header on page 2. On page 4, chapter 1, I once again need to remove the header.

Section breaks (I have tried continuous and next page) mess up my footers (the page numbers) and/or add blank pages between chapters.

How can I add the headers to section 2 only and then delete them on select pages only (I have 12 overall I need to remove)?

Thanks SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH! This has been DRIVING ME CRAZY for DAYS.

estra is offline Windows Enthusiast

Hey xenatorres!

Please forgive me for asking a question instead of providing a solution, but have you tried getting your answer from Lulu community?

If what you are trying to achieve is a standard formatting for Lulu publishing, perhaps then there is a good chance that this question has been raised in the past. These are the search results for word + header on Lulu. Maybe the answer is there somewhere already.

seti is offline Member

if you press f1 and go to help in word and then put in your question it will take you to the tutorial and tell tell you how to do it there. that take only a few seconds to do

Sadly the lulu pages don't help at all. And everything I have tried just makes a HUGE MESS. I am hoping some just KNOWS what needs to be done and can tell me. Because I haven't a CLUE.

iMav is offline Gold Member

What version of Word are you using, I'm not entirely sure (been a long time) but you can define headers based on sections. Word allows you to have different headers for Even & odd pages.

--------

Update: Found this page, should help you http://www.brainbell.com/tutorials/m...rent_Pages.htm

Thanks everyone. I managed to fix it totally by accident. LOL!

I am using Word 2007.

The trick is to have a different first page and unlink the footer on this page. Then I can have no header and can manually correct the number on the single page. The other footers in the section, under numbers, just click on the continue from prior section option.

So - yey!

Matrix is offline Senior Member

Sometimes just chatting helps solve a problem. I've seen this happen many times

rkonit is offline Gold Member

Drop the Link to Previous in different sections.

iMav is offline Gold Member

seti is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by iMav View Post
    I remembered reading it somewhere from you, but couldn't remember where it was so I am glad you found it. this time I've bookmarked it, so I don't loose it again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast