DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Thread: Reasons to use Windows Home Server

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Lightbulb Reasons to use Windows Home Server

The Windows Home Server Team Blog has come up with the Top 10 reasons to use Windows Home Server !

1.Image-based back up

Rest easy and know that your irreplaceable videos and pictures are always safe since Windows Home Server automatically backs up your entire computer on a daily basis.

2. Restore

If catastrophe strikes, Windows Home Server has simple and fast data recovery with a restore feature for single files or entire hard drives that have failed.

3. Monitor

Windows Home Server will monitor the health status of your home network and immediately alert you if there is a problem.

4. Centralize

Windows Home Server stores your digital memories in a central location so you can access what you want from any computer on the network and save time by having all your things in one place.

5. Storage

With Windows Home Server, storage space grows as your needs grow. You are able to add internal or external hard drives of any size so that you can have an unlimited amount of storage space for HD movies, or your home videos.

6. User accounts

Windows Home Server allows you to create up to 10 user accounts. To increase protection, you can change the Shared Folders that users have access to, and enable remote access for each user.

7. Remote access

When you are out of your home or office, Windows Home Server has remote access capabilities that make it possible for you to view, find files, and even use applications.

8. Stream media

Windows Home Server enables you to view, listen, and watch your videos, movies, and picture slideshows through playback devices such as Xbox 360.

9. Fully Expandable

Windows Home Server add-in programs can enhance and extend your home server's capabilities. There are already over 100 add-ins available for download.

10. Easy to use

An uncomplicated, self-explanatory installation process for Window Home Server will have you up and running with minimum time and effort.

tweakwindows is offline Microsoft MVP

Valid reasons. But I am happy with Windows 7.

iMav is offline Gold Member

One reason not to:

Costly hardware.

nitinagarwal1988 is offline Microsoft MVP

Last edited by nitinagarwal1988; 9th September 2009 at 19:00.

PhillDoc is offline New Member

Default Great post

Interesting story as for me. It would be great to read a bit more concerning that topic. Thanks for giving this material.

Midway is offline New Member

I love my Windows Home Server

A year ago I was deciding what to do with my old desktop, a Dell Dim. 8300. After finding out about WHS I decided to turn it into a home server and it served me well.

A couple of months ago I found out that WHS v2 (Vail) will be based on Server 2008 and would be 64 bit only. The Dell is only 32 bit so I wouldn't be able to install v2 on it.

I then decided to build a small server (my first computer build) based on a mini-ITX mobo. Here is the list of the componets I used in the build:

APEX MI-008 Black Steel Mini-ITX Tower Computer Case 250W Power Supply
    Foxconn 45CSX Intel Atom 330 Intel 945GC Mini ITX Motherboard/CPU Combo
    Kingston 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 533 (PC2 4200) Model KVR533D2N4/2G
    Seagate Barracuda 750GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA Internal Hard Drive
    SAMSUNG Black 22X DVD Burner
    Scythe 120MM fan with variable speed control

I only spent around $175 for these except for the HDD and the WHS OS which was on the old Dell server. I was surprised that WHS activated with no problems on the new machine. Maybe MS gives WHS some leeway since there are no Retail versions of it.

The dual core Atom 330 is 64 bit so I will be ready whenever v2 comes out.

anokhi is offline New Member

It would be great to read a bit more concerning that topic. Thanks for giving this material.