DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Thread: Windows xp 2 boot options

nichos is offline Windows Enthusiast

Default Windows xp 2 boot options

After messing up an old pata 80gb HD ended up with 2 boot options, both Windows.

The first boots OK but, the second says missing file, <Windows Root> system32\hal.dll

I looked there & hall.dll exists.

I searched for boot.ini, where perhaps could delete the second boot, but there is not one.

Any adeas please? ........nick

LeeW is offline Gold Member

Did you try Start Menu\Run\MsConfig

Select Boot and see if you could remove the second Boot from there

Also this article from Microsoft may help you

Thanx LW,

that did it giving the option to remove the unecessary one.

BTW, on my other PC with a working dual-boot XP & Ubuntu, this msconfig Boot.ini gives exactly the same two menus with no reference to Ubuntu.

NOW, do you happen to know how to remove the "Display Properties" window that comes up every time I bootup.

You know, the one you can bring up with a right click on the desktop & click properties. .........nick
    Last edited by nichos; 13th February 2010 at 10:25.

LeeW is offline Gold Member

Smile

Go back to Start Menu\ Run \ MSConfig\ Startup
    check the applications that load at startup
    Also, check your Start Menu\ All Programs\ Startup folder for any applications that load at startup. Could be an application that is listed that's doing it. If you are unsure of which to remove if you think one of them may be doing. While MSConfig is open on the Startup tab, hit PRTSC on your keyboard and take a screenshot of it for me. Post the screenshot on here and I'll have a look

Have you installed any updates lately, if not I would check for driver updates as well. I honestly haven't experienced the Display Properties acting like that but oine never knows what pc's may do, could be bad video driver, an uninstalled video that's acting out.........................

Quote Originally Posted by nichos View Post
    Thanx LW,

that did it giving the option to remove the unecessary one.

BTW, on my other PC with a working dual-boot XP & Ubuntu, this msconfig Boot.ini gives exactly the same two menus with no reference to Ubuntu.

NOW, do you happen to know how to remove the "Display Properties" window that comes up every time I bootup.

You know, the one you can bring up with a right click on the desktop & click properties. .........nick

sorry cannot use prntscrn & here does not allow me to put in URLs from imageshack.

This is on going for some time now and many things happen all the time, so do not remember what I did in the past. .........nick