DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Thread: Help, PPT idiot in dire situation!

spamalot is offline Beginner

Default Help, PPT idiot in dire situation!

Dear all,

I got one of those user problems again that is totally embarrassing. I am totally over-worked and strained and just completed 40 pages of nightmare work and saved the ppt presentation file that I had received as ZIP and worked on all Sunday under a different name -- but without either first "extracting the file" or taking it out of the ZIP directory -- first!! Now I searched my computer over and over again, I believe it is lost! Is it lost. To my only defence I have to say that I saved it several times and it saved it, only now it is just not anywhere.

My apologies for being really dumb, in case anyone knows what to do, I'd very much appreciate help!

Best wishes,
    spamalot
    Last edited by spamalot; 28th March 2010 at 15:11.

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

You win 2nd prize - LOL. Working on a zipped document is rather unusual indeed. But maybe you are lucky and PP has saved it. I assume you used "Save as..." to save it. Go back and try another Save as (with anything, even a blank page) and see into which folder PP puts it per default. Usually the default is "Documents".

StrayCat is offline Senior Member

Now that could have happened to any of us ...
    Either look at the recent documents list in your powerpoint or type "ppt" at the bottom of your startmenu (or the name of the file if you can remember it)
    If the file was saved you should have no problem finding it that way.

If not, look for the file in your C:\Users\Spamalot\AppData\Local\Temp folder.
    (but you'll have to change your folder view settings in "folder options" to view this hidden AppData folder)

Good luck.

PS I you're using Winrar it's in a directory called " Rar$..."
    Last edited by StrayCat; 28th March 2010 at 17:46.

Default Thanks peeps

Thankya for understandng the frazzled mind.....
    I tried everything, including searches for a couple of letters in the name of that file and opening and resaving "to see where it goes"....
    what happened was that it tells me (it is lying) that it saves it, because the poor thing really can't save it, only it doesn't say so (considering it was zipped and all).
    So I assume it is gone, which is alright, because I needed to do more work on it anyway and probably wouldn't have worked as neatly as I do now in the second round of my Sunday (the document has 160 pages!)
    Really -- thanks very much for your kind thoughts, sympathy, human love, understanding, tolerance and being there! Have a good weekend.

spamalot

StrayCat is offline Senior Member

Spamalot,
    Please read my updated post.

nirman is offline Beginner

hi Spamalot,
    I understand your problem and it happen to me sometime before, and this trick will work in it.
    I used a software called TuneUp Utility just follow the step below.

1. select restore deleted file option

2. select possible location of file.

3. enter '*.ppt' and click next.

4.it will search all the deleted file and you can easily restore it back.

it is well known utility and is free to try for 30 days. and perform many optimization task also.

get it from tuneup site here

it was work for me and hope work for you also..

Talking

Hi again, thanks again for extremely helpful information,
    I found StrayCat's directory Rar$..." and like magic... my first save is right there!
    It only took me an additional four hours to re-do my first 40 pages in the meantime, but it is --- definetly --- good to know!
    I must return tomorrow (I'm in CET) and read a second time because I have so many huge files, knowing me I might require these fixes in the future (I hope not tough)
    Thanks all and a great Sunday!
    spamalot
    PS I also got Tune Up, simply handn't thought of it (duh) -- it's the holidays
    Last edited by spamalot; 28th March 2010 at 19:59.

jay31pee is offline New Member

Next time, be sure to save your file to right folder...

Anyways, to make your presentation more elegant, you may use cool and unique templates...
    Last edited by jay31pee; 29th March 2010 at 10:18. Reason: forgot to write something