Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Received Unwanted Live Mail Update.

Vanflash is offline Beginner

Ok, Ill get this right this time. To get the old version of Live Windows Mail, ver. 14.0.8, go to this url. You have to add the beginning of the url. filenetworks.blogspot.com/2008/12/windows-live-messenger-2009-final.html
    You can completely remove the Windows Essential that contain the new version with Your Uninstaller. I think they give you a 30 say free trial. Its a very good uninstaller.

Elmer B. is offline Windows Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Vanflash View Post
    Elmer, I found a web site that I got the old version from......
    Glad you got it sorted. Sorry but somehow I missed my "subscription" to this thread so I've only just this minute caught up with it.
    All's well that ends well though.

smash is offline New Member

Help please...Never posted online before and I am not too computer savvy.

1. Rcvd WLM 2011 automatically on WIN 7 auto download/update - won't happen again. Not too happy with 2011 as cannot email single photos. When I attach a single photo it automatically loads all photos into Windows Photo Viewer! Cannot attach selected single photos. Help please.

2. It appears I am now receving significantly less email with the 2011 version than the 2009. Is this possible?

3. If I uninstall WLM 2011 using the posted link and re-install WLM 2009 will I lose all my old data such as contacts, emails, folders, etc.?

Your help is appreciated...
    Smash
    Germany

I have never found where to turn auto update off except in my Firefox tools,........................
    You can turn Auto Update off by typing wuapp.exe in the Start Menu Search or going to Start > Control Panel > Windows Update. In the left hand Panel select Change Settings. This gives you a window with a drop down list of options.
    My personal preference is to set it to Never check for updates (not recommended). This makes Updating a totally manual thing.
    The next best (IMHO) option is the Check for updates but let me decide whether to download and install them. There are four options and the choice is yours.

If you set it to manual just remember Patch (or Black) Tuesday (which is the second Tuesday of every month) when MS releases its "standard" updates. So the second Wednesday or Thursday of every month is a good (minimum) time to do a check for updates.

Quote Originally Posted by smash View Post
    If I uninstall WLM 2011 using the posted link and re-install WLM 2009 will I lose all my old data such as contacts, emails, folders, etc.?
    I uninstalled 2011 and went back to 2009. All my stuff was still there. Just remember it's a program to read your Hotmail, Yahoo, GMail etc. emails. Not an email program. (In other words it goes on-line to your email account and grabs all the information again.)

N.B. My Live mail folders are stored at C:\Users\Elmer B.\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail. You could always copy and back them up.
    Last edited by Elmer B.; 25th October 2010 at 12:48. Reason: Added mail folders path

Default Windows Live Installer 2009 v14.0.8117.0416

In case any of the on line downloads "disappear", I've uploaded the installer I have to MediaFire.
    I'd be grateful if someone could let me know when the time comes that this no longer works so I can remove it.

I feel bad, as it seems, or looks like I'm trying to take this thread over which is quite to the contrary. Just trying to be of a little help.
    @ smash, the same thing happened to me that happened to you. Like you said, "Never again".
    Smash, I was so happy to get rid of that 2011 update I really didn't care if I lost everything or not. However, I was surprised after installing the old version, that all of my info., deleted emails, ect. was still all intact. Unless you have a unique situation, I don't think your going to lose anything. Good Luck with the switch "back".

Default Saved Mine

Quote Originally Posted by Elmer B. View Post
    In case any of the on line downloads "disappear", I've uploaded the installer I have to [UxL="hxxp://wxw.mediafire.com/?6ph7omd1hxf16y8"]MediaFire.[/UxL]
    I'd be grateful if someone could let me know when the time comes that this no longer works so I can remove it.
    Elmer, I saved the program I used to revert back to the older version to a thumb drive, so it will always be there.

Good Move. I always hang on to the installers. As you've found out, you may not like the 'new improved version' of a program.

vasudev is offline Moderator

vasudev, what don't I like about the new version? Well, it's to busy. There's about forty things I don't use across the top.....very un-necessary to me. Why can't they just be simple like the old Outlook?
    Leave it to MS to screw something good up.
    I think you can configure your WLMail as you want, you can hide the ribbon , configure the buttons, reading pane, hide the calendar etc. The new ver is improved in speed etc. Anyway if you are getting the old official ver. its your take.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast