DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Thread: broadband tax on the way to UK?

seti is offline Member

Default broadband tax on the way to UK?

According to reports on the BBC today, the UK Government are bringing in a tax on Broadband internet connections, this is meant to fund the expansion of broadband across the UK. Others like myself will question if this is just a means of the UK government raising money to make up for their bailing out the banks. Thankfully it will not have any impact here where I live, but what do you think.
    a link to the story is BBC NEWS | Technology | Broadband tax 'to be made law'

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Govts will find a way to tax anything !

nitinagarwal1988 is offline Microsoft MVP

Yeah, and tax rates are also so high......i have broadband connection of government's telecom company called BSNL here in India and i've to pay $1.5 USD tax over $10 USD bill

repair1 is offline New Member

Default hi

One of the biggest surprises in the Digital Britain report was the news that everyone with a fixed line telephone would pay a broadband tax.At 50p a month the amount is unlikely to break the bank but experts are already questioning what it will buy. Some believe it will mean the majority of homes can benefit from fast networks within a decade.

seti is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by repair1 View Post
    One of the biggest surprises in the Digital Britain report was the news that everyone with a fixed line telephone would pay a broadband tax.At 50p a month the amount is unlikely to break the bank but experts are already questioning what it will buy. Some believe it will mean the majority of homes can benefit from fast networks within a decade.
    Here on the isle of man all homes benefit from fast broadband without the need for taxation to make it happen. Our government told the suppliers that this is what they wanted to happen, allowed competition and it did. Some time you just need to let business get on with things.

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

That is really obnoxious. Next they will tax us for the air we breathe.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

^ lol that time wont be too far

leofelix is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    That is really obnoxious. Next they will tax us for the air we breathe.
    In my Country we have a similar TAX, it is called IRPEF (Imposta sulle Persone Fisiche) = Tax on person who exist.
    It is not a joke

I've paid it for almost all my life.

Otrageus, 1/3 of my salary went to IRPEF

seti is offline Member

Default follow up

As a follow up to this orignal post. You might be interested to read what the CEO of Talk Talk an ISP is claiming. He claims that the tax at 50p, could force 100,000 homes off the internet, so rather than getting more connected it will less connected. The link if you are interested is. pcadvisor.co.uk