DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Thread: Microsoft Linux: Why one free software advocate wants it

nitinagarwal1988 is offline Microsoft MVP

Thumbs down Microsoft Linux: Why one free software advocate wants it

A lot of open source advocates like to rage against the machine at Microsoft, but when a former Microsoft Research employee says that Windows 7 won't stop Linux from market domination, that's an opinion to note. Keith Curtis, author of the book After the Software Wars, says just that. But he goes further. He thinks Microsoft and its customers would be better off if the company ditched Windows and instead built its own version of the Linux operating system.

These topics came up yesterday during my interview with Curtis for Network World's Panorama Podcast series. It was an interesting conversation with someone who has crossed over worlds, from Microsoft employee to free software advocate. But it raised as many questions in my mind as it answered. For instance (at 13:10 in the interview), I asked Curtis how he thinks Microsoft can meet its obligations to employees, shareholders and customers while also morphing itself from a proprietary software maker to an open source company. His answer was surprising: Microsoft Linux. He noted that Ubuntu was started with about $10 million -- an amount that Microsoft could lose unnoticed in the cushions of a couch.

Read Full Story here.....

Well in my opinion, the idea of Microsoft Linux ****s !! We have Windows and that's Best.

seti is offline Member

Microsoft Linux? Can't see the point....can anyone else

estra is offline Windows Enthusiast

Windows is great. Linux is great as well. Competition brings progress. I don't think that anyone at all would benefit from Microsoft making it's own Linux distro. Even more so ditching Windows, - that's just crazy talk.

Cithel is offline Senior Member

Default Again

Well since Xenix worked out so well for Microsoft... Why not?

rkonit is offline Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by estra View Post
    Windows is great. Linux is great as well. Competition brings progress. I don't think that anyone at all would benefit from Microsoft making it's own Linux distro. Even more so ditching Windows, - that's just crazy talk.
    Agree with you!

Quote Originally Posted by Cithel View Post
    Well since Xenix worked out so well for Microsoft...
    Well said

nitinagarwal1988 is offline Microsoft MVP

yeah recently sometime ago Microsoft releases 20,000 lines of code to Linux community also but developing a Linux will costs Microsoft in downfall of sales of Windows.