DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Thread: Google to limit free news access - need we be worried?

seti is offline Member

Exclamation Google to limit free news access - need we be worried?

I came across this on the bbc news page:
    Google to limit free news access

I often go to various news papers to get more in depth coverage of things, but now it seem that they are wanting to charge for this. I understand this, but is this the start of the end of free web pages. If so that is very worrying because a lot of information is on these pages. I for example found out about my Thyroid Cancer on free web pages, if I had had to pay for the information I could not have done so, so might not be here now.There are many other examples that we could give, where free web pages are life savers. One final point that I would make is that those who think this is nothing to worry about should remember that a few years ago all sports broadcasts were free, now you have to pay to veiw many sports.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

seti is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by HappyAndyK View Post
    Thanks Andy forgot to put the link in

roraniel is offline Gold Member

Isn't Rupert Murdoch the real driving force behind this?

I heard a radio news item that he is planning on charging for access to news articles on each of his individual news papers websites but not foxnews.com

The news item went on to say however that foxnews.com news articles would not show up in a google search for any specific news items.

At the time my first thought was that this is just the beginning of charging for news on the Internet given the fact that subscriber-ship to printed news media has been dropping for years.

nitinagarwal1988 is offline Microsoft MVP

Well we have msn news service......who needs google news anymore ....

Jal
    Jal is offline Windows Enthusiast

Well, better not to underestimate this, specially when Google does it. It just needs an idea for others to implement the same thing on other services as well. And if that happens, it will defy the very basics of the internet itself. I am skeptical about this.
    Last edited by Jal; 2nd December 2009 at 20:50.

nitinagarwal1988 is offline Microsoft MVP

^ Google is still considered as a company of developers and programmers by the corporate Gurus and analysts.....Google never takes all decisions right.....they'll surely planning to make it way of earning....

Cithel is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jal View Post
    Well, better not to underestimate this, specially when Google does it.
    I have to agree. Associated Press made a lot of headlines about 4 or 5 months ago with their AP launches campaign against Internet "misappropriation" . At that time Google's take on it was "this is public content" (sorry I can't find that link now).

I'm interested to see the final outcome of the Google Book Settlement case. Seems like a lot of authors won't own copyrights to their own works. I have no idea if Google will then start charging for books.