DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Thread: Googles respect for privacy: Not so much

Cithel is offline Senior Member

Default Googles respect for privacy: Not so much

Once again Google is showing users the regard they have for our privacy. When logged in they store a cookie with search history to make our searches more relevant. That's fine, you log in and they store info.

What is not fine is that now they are using an anonymous cookie to store that info whether you are logged in or not. If you aren't logged in and search, then log in and search does it synch that info? Who knows. Whats the expiration on the cookie? Nothing major, just 180 days... The spin from Google is that they are doing this for our benefit, it's good for us.

The main problem that I have with this is that you have to opt-out, not opt-in.

Source: Personalized Search for everyone.

nitinagarwal1988 is offline Microsoft MVP

^well as much i think Google wants to do it for helping you. by doing this Google helps you more to find the correct solutions you are searching for.

If privacy is more concerned by you then I think you know it is better to use inprivate browsing feature of IE8 or to clear history while exiting your Browser.

does anyone check the Google US new page ? Google is stealing the Bing's features

seti is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cithel View Post
    Once again Google is showing users the regard they have for our privacy. When logged in they store a cookie with search history to make our searches more relevant. That's fine, you log in and they store info.

What is not fine is that now they are using an anonymous cookie to store that info whether you are logged in or not. If you aren't logged in and search, then log in and search does it synch that info? Who knows. Whats the expiration on the cookie? Nothing major, just 180 days... The spin from Google is that they are doing this for our benefit, it's good for us.

The main problem that I have with this is that you have to opt-out, not opt-in.

Source: Personalized Search for everyone.
    Thanks for this I completley agree with the last part. While protection of minors is always important so is the privacy of the individual. To my mind this has serious human rights implications that need further investigation

leofelix is offline Member

I use Customize Google add on for Firefox, I hope it is enough:-)
    Thank you

Cithel is offline Senior Member

I came across this again today. For some reason it's news again.

If you have something that you don't want anyone to know, maybe you shouldn't be doing it in the first place"
    -- Eric Schmidt, CEO, Google
    Source: Google chief: Only miscreants worry about net privacy - The Register

If I recall correctly the quote is from an interview on CNBC a few months back but I had forgotten all about it.

seti is offline Member

Unless you are trying to expose human rights abuses in your country or other injustices. Hell why not just let them get away with murder etc, because brave souls are less likely to come forward if they know that they or their loved ones will be found. Sorry that was answer to the Google fella,