DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Thread: Microsoft ordered to stop selling Word 2007 in US

fredharvey is offline Beginner

Default Microsoft ordered to stop selling Word 2007 in US

Microsoft has been ordered to stop selling certain versions of its Word programme after a US court ruled it had infringed a patent held by a Canadian software company.

The information technology major was ordered to pay $290m (180m) in damages to Toronto-based i4i Inc and told it will not be able to sell any more copies of Word 2007 unless alterations are made to the programme over the next three weeks.

The US Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit upheld an earlier jury verdict and lower court ruling in the patent case filed nearly three years ago. The case was brought over Microsoft's use of XML, or extensible markup language, in the 2007 versions of its word processor.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...007-in-US.html
    Last edited by fredharvey; 24th December 2009 at 02:59.

Default Microsoft Posts OEM Word Patch To Remove XML Code

Microsoft Posts OEM Word Patch To Remove XML Code
    NewsFactor

Citing advance planning, Microsoft says it will have modified versions of Office 2007 available for sale before the court-ordered deadline next month to remove a disputed feature. The U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit on Tuesday upheld a lower court's ruling that the software giant violated the patent of Toronto-based i4i when it included custom XML technology in the 2003 and 2007 versions of Microsoft Word.

Microsoft Office, of which 2007 is the most recent version, is estimated to be worth some $3 billion in annual global sales for the company founded by Chairman Bill Gates. In addition to Word, it includes Excel, PowerPoint and Groove, a collaboration program.

"We have been preparing for this possibility since the district court issued its injunction," last May, Microsoft spokesperson Kevin Kutz said. "Therefore, we expect to have copies of Microsoft Word 2007 and Office 2007 with this feature removed available for U.S. sale and distribution by the injunction date."

Read more at Microsoft Posts OEM Word Patch To Remove XML Code - Yahoo! News

Cithel is offline Senior Member

Yeah its been all over the internet today with as much "attention getting" headlines as possible. Other than the fact that MS may have to shell out some more cash (pocket change compared to the EU fines) its pretty much a non-issue for end users or people about to purchase Office.

Part of Microsoft's response:
    With respect to Microsoft Word 2007 and Microsoft Office 2007, we have been preparing for this possibility since the District Court issued its injunction in August 2009 and have put the wheels in motion to remove this little-used feature from these products. Therefore, we expect to have copies of Microsoft Word 2007 and Office 2007, with this feature removed, available for U.S. sale and distribution by the injunction date. In addition, the beta versions of Microsoft Word 2010 and Microsoft Office 2010, which are available now for downloading, do not contain the technology covered by the injunction.

While we are moving quickly to address the injunction issue, we are also considering our legal options, which could include a request for a rehearing by the Federal Circuit Court of Appeals en banc or a request for a writ of certiorari from the U.S. Supreme Court.

Cithel is offline Senior Member

Shouldn't this be in the other thread about the same topic?

BTW, Welcome to the forums fredharvey.

leofelix is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cithel View Post
    Shouldn't this be in the other thread about the same topic?

BTW, Welcome to the forums fredharvey.
    Merged, thank you

Thanks Cithel ... I see on this forum the more posts , the better . Me like free stuff

Any ways Happy Holidays to all

nitinagarwal1988 is offline Microsoft MVP

Quote Originally Posted by fredharvey View Post
    Thanks Cithel ... I see on this forum the more posts , the better . Me like free stuff

Any ways Happy Holidays to all
    welcome to the club fred, the more posts on different topics will be better instead of repeating the same kind of stuff.....

lots of freebies are always available here to be won... so, stay tune...