DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Thread: Reminder - Windows 7 RC expiration coming soon

LeeW is offline Gold Member

Exclamation Reminder - Windows 7 RC expiration coming soon

Hey folks, just a reminder that if youíre still running a Windows 7 Release Candidate (RC) then itís time to move to release bits, because itís going to expire soon. I wanted to take a minute and give you a rundown of what you can expect, and what you can do about it.

The short version is that if youíre running RC bits, on Feb 15 youíll start getting reminders to upgrade, on March 1 the system will timebomb and start rebooting every 2 hours, and on June 1 the system will expire and give you non-activated/nongenuine warnings in addition to the shutdowns.

First off, how do you know what version you are on? Run winver.exe, it will let you know if your build is going to expire.

If your build is an eval or RC, starting in 2 weeks on February 15th, youíll start getting daily popups reminding you that the expiration is coming.

:When you get down to the last 3 days before expiration, the reminders come every 4 hours.
    :On the last day, the notifications will come every hour.
    :Once your copy has expired, it will shutdown every 2 hours. Your work wonít be saved.

If youíre still evaluating Windows 7, Springboard has a limited number of RTM 90-day evals available. You can get onehere
    Windows 7 Enterprise| Trial, Evaluation, Test, Deploy

Original Source:
    reminder - Windows 7 RC expiration coming soon | Media | TechNet Edge

Corrine is offline Gold Member

Looks like the TechNet Edge post was prompted by the Windows Team Blog post today: Important Reminder Regarding Expiration of the Windows 7 RC.

Matrix is offline Senior Member

Any way you can extend its expiry ???

Max_Payne is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Matrix View Post
    Buying Windows 7.

hackerman1 is offline Senior Member

hi !

Quote Originally Posted by Matrix View Post
    which version, RC or Enterprise 90-days ?

Enterprise can be extended with some registryhack, (REARM ?) do a search,
    i think there is a post about it.
    Last edited by hackerman1; 2nd February 2010 at 11:51.

Max_Payne is offline Senior Member

A nice XML script to extend automatically Windows 7 activation every 30 days for the maximum of 3 times

Although this can't go on any longer. Personally I don't understand the reasons to delay the activation.
    Last edited by Max_Payne; 2nd February 2010 at 12:23.

Matrix is offline Senior Member

RC version. I will have a look at the link; but I guess i will switch back to vista.

Rc users might find this link to be of special interest What should I do if I?m running the Release Candidate (RC) version of Windows 7?

hackerman1 is offline Senior Member

hi !

Matrix: you can get W7-Enterprise 90-day evaluation here:
    Windows 7 Enterprise| Trial, Evaluation, Test, Deploy

nitinagarwal1988 is offline Microsoft MVP

It may also help to some guys.....How to Upgrade the Windows 7 RC Into Final Version (RTM)

1. If you are using an ISO image fine for installation process, use the 7-zip utility to extract the file on the drive.
    2. Those who are trying to do it using an actual DVD can copy all the files from the DVD to a folder – created on hard drive.
    3. After extraction of these files, look for the cversion.ini file. This can be found on ’sources’.
    4. After opening of cversion.ini file, you will find that MinClient is valued up to 7233.0, now you need to lessen MinClient value up to 7000.
    5. This will help you in setting up the.exe file and to upgrade it directly from the hard drive. Once the setup is started, click on ‘install.’
    6. This will show an installation screen on your desktop. This screen shows two options, one is upgrade and while other option is ‘custom installation.’ Now you need to chose Upgrade the existing install.
    7. After finishing of Installation process, you would find a compatibility Report screen that will show a list of programs, which cannot run on your new Windows 7 operating system. If it’s not visible on the screen than should be happy, as your Windows 7 operating system in compatible to all the programs.

This is an integrated process to upgrade from a pre release version of Windows 7 operating system to its final version. But while doing this, you need to focus on following important aspects -

The Windows 7 RC releases were Ultimate Edition of the operating system, so, if you want to upgrade your PC, you would have to install the Ultimate Version of final copy of Windows 7 operating system.

By: George Cullen