DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your Gmail account could embarrass you

riteshtechie is offline Software Developer

Default Your Gmail account could embarrass you

Unintentionally, Google has created a major buzz about its new social networking service, ironically named Buzz. By automatically turning people’s Gmail email accounts into social networking ones, Google may have broken the trust the account holders have about their privacy. Google certainly seemed to have an idea that they might be invading personal space, making several serious modifications to the Buzz service soon after its launch. But the Electronic Privacy Information Center (EPIC) believed that this was not enough, and filed a formal complaint with the Federal Trade Commission on Tuesday, requesting more changes to the service.

What exactly did Google do wrong? How did they manage to get these regulatory bodies riled up? In a statement by EPIC Executive Director Marc Rotenberg, the fault seems to lie in not providing a choice to consumers, about if they wanted to join Buzz or not. "E-mail is for private messages. You sign up for social networking to communicate publicly with people, Google tried to turn e-mail into social networking, and that's where they ran into trouble." The EPIC believes that Google indulged in unfair or deceptive trade practices that violate the Federal Trade Commission Act. To begin with, Google never asked people if they wanted to join Buzz. When users logged into their accounts, many might have been irritated/underwhelmed by the ‘offer’ to “Check out Buzz”, and simply continued on to their inbox, by clicking the “Nah, go to my inbox” button. Little did these users know, regardless of whether they did check out Buzz or not, the service was activated.

Source

hackerman1 is offline Senior Member

hi !

THANKS ritesh !

since i read your post i´ve been going through my Gmail-accounts and turning off "Buzz".

Google obviously can´t be trusted anymore, so i´m going to move all
    my email-accounts to another provider.

goodbye gmail.....

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

I believe there is a lot of 'buzz' on the internet about the privacy issues involved and 'how to turn of Buzz'. It seem there is option at the bottom of the page in Gmail to 'turn off buzz'.

StrayCat is offline Senior Member

To begin with, Google never asked people if they wanted to join Buzz. When users logged into their accounts, many might have been irritated/underwhelmed by the ‘offer’ to “Check out Buzz”, and simply continued on to their inbox, by clicking the “Nah, go to my inbox” button. Little did these users know, regardless of whether they did check out Buzz or not, the service was activated.
    I agree it was a major mistake jeopardizing people's privacy
    But I'm still sticking with Gmail....

Last edited by StrayCat; 18th February 2010 at 14:16.

Andy: yes, there is a button, but the BIG problem is that Google turned Buzz ON AUTOMATICALLY, without users consent and knowledge....

i will NEVER trust Google again, now it´s goodbye Gmail.....

MrMBerman is offline Senior Member

I have just reverted to the "older" version of Gmail as buzz is not included with it. I am fast becoming less trusting of Google and I am also looking at an alternative as a replacement.

riteshtechie is offline Software Developer

I have turned off my BUZZ acc too, i will use it with another gmail account.

marcEmarc: i got a tip on sevenforums, Free Webmail and E-Mail by GMX | Sign Up Now! offers FREE 5GB accounts, with pop3 & imap4.

i have registered several new accounts today, they have a nice "clean" look at their pages,
    it looks really good.

"reverted to the "older" version of Gmail "
    ???

how did you do it ?

MrMBerman is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by hackerman1 View Post

"reverted to the "older" version of Gmail "
    ???

how did you do it ?
    There is an option next to "turn on / off buzz"

NB. After further investigation it seems Gmail does not revert to "older" view as default so this trick is actually useless. Signed up with GMX

geeyes is offline Beginner

Very useful tip and an interesting discussion. I am going to turn off and say bye to BUZZ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast