DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rivals wants Microsoft's browser ballot to go global

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Exclamation Rivals wants Microsoft's browser ballot to go global

A lobbying group composed of Microsoft rivals wants antitrust regulators worldwide to pressure the company into offering a browser ballot screen to their citizens too now ...

Group wants Microsoft's browser ballot to go global | ITworld

!!!

MrMBerman is offline Senior Member

I don't really know what the fuss is all about. All the browsers are free and are freely available to one and all whenever and wherever. It's not like Browsers make money, what is going on here is a pure case of ego. I think too many browser choices is a bad idea as each browser has it's own security issues. PC users are more savvy every day and are aware of the alternatives to IE, this may not have been the case 10 years ago so this ballot screen is too late and is just being used to kick Microsoft where it hurts and that's not in the pockets. All bets are off, there will only be 1 loser.

StrayCat is offline Senior Member

I don't see any reason for this either ,marcEmarc...

At first launch of the OS it appears to offer you a choice between browsers... to install in addition to IE.
    The first four are Firefox, Apple's Safari, Google's Chrome and Opera. On a second screen, the ballot will list AOL, Maxthon, K-Meleon, Flock, Avant Browser, Sleipnir and SlimBrowser.

Another interesting article:
    IE8 kill switch in windows7?
    Last edited by StrayCat; 3rd March 2010 at 10:25.

Its for EU only; but the group now wants it ballot to be offered globally.

nitinagarwal1988 is offline Microsoft MVP

i think, 90% user will still select IE8 as there default one.......the blue E is the symbol of Internet for more than half of planet's population.....

Plopper is offline Beginner

It's not so much of a case of giving more choice, it seems to be a case of having to be seen to be giving more choice!

BBC News - Microsoft offers browser choices to Europeans

And from what I've read not that much choice, of the 13 ish browsers on offer a good few of them are maintained/programmed BY Microsoft still!

People (read other companies that want in on the act) are already complaining that Microsoft haven't gone far enough!

BBC News - Microsoft browser ballot criticised for being 'limited'

@ marcEmarc it's more of the case that the EU wants EVERYBODY to know that there are other options, not everybody, even in this day and age, knows that there is anything other than Internet Explorer.

I for one think that it's a good idea and that it should be rolled out for the whole world, but have it a more targeted option of say 5/6 browsers that are known to be the very best in their area.

It doesn't matter HOW MANY you list all options can never be listed.

A good idea would be to have NO browser installed (or none set as default by default) and have the end user have to either choose the default IE or have a link to an indipendant site to offer the choice, NOT to have Microsoft offer a shortlist of options.

johnny.rotton is offline Gold Member

I have seen a large increase of IE8 adverts on UK terrestrial television so I cant see why this would be a problem for Microsoft as I can't see Firefox or Opera paying to advertise Google on the other hand probably will start soon lol

I read that Opera downloads have tripled after this ballot was released!

Opera: browser downloads tripled since browser ballot

http://www.electronista.com/articles...u.trial.begun/

MrMBerman is offline Senior Member

@Plopper.

I have to disagree with the EU and it's heavy handed decisions. An internet browser has to be considered an integral part of a computer operating system, so it's only logical if you are going to buy a Windows OS it's gonna come with IE as default. Microsoft and IE are responsible for where and what the internet is today, for many people not having an option of a browser at install would be more problematic than not. It's all red tape, it's all cost the tax payers a lot of money and it's all a waste of time and it won't stop here.

Watch out! your Windows Media Player could be next.

Moral of the story is if you don't like Microsoft and the Windows products don't buy, there are alternatives.

Now, if you haven't yet tried Firefox you can get it here Mozilla Download

rkonit is offline Gold Member

Reports says ... Opera 10.50 has much improved than earlier... so its difficult to say how much users like to choose IE8, because IE needs a major upgrade now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast