DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Windows 7 Actually Faster Than Ubuntu?

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Exclamation Is Windows 7 Actually Faster Than Ubuntu?

Is Windows 7 Actually Faster Than Ubuntu? Yes, says this study!

While Linux has long been talked about as being a faster operating system than Microsoft Windows, in 2010 is this still the case?

To see whether Linux still is a faster desktop to that of Windows, these folks appear to have invested a great deal of time and energy in comparing the two vastly different operating systems

As much as we would have liked to see Ubuntu's Lucid Lynx handily beat Windows 7, this was not the case, but to some extent the opposite. Windows 7 in some of the tests possessed definitive leads over Ubuntu 10.04 LTS with the OpenGL performance when using the proprietary ATI/AMD and NVIDIA graphics drivers, which have largely shared code-bases between Windows and Linux. Ubuntu 10.04 LTS also had its leads in some areas while in many of the tests the differences between the two operating systems were insignificant.
    Its a long read at [Phoronix] Is Windows 7 Actually Faster Than Ubuntu 10.04?

karlberg74 is offline New Member

Thanks! I'll definitely take a look. Was asking myself this question...

Max Peck is offline New Member

I've taken a look at Linux a few times over the past few years - just looked at Ubuntu's latest a couple of days ago.

It's gotten better - but there's no way as a desktop O/S it can even hold a dim candle to Windows 7. It's a cheap knock-off. Yeah, I know - it's free. Sorry. I'd rather pay for Windows thanks. Ugh...

Let the flames begin. ;-)

-Max

Carpman is offline New Member

The foul stench of HERESY is in the air with this praise ... after all, smart computer users use anything but "Windoze!"

LOL. Hey, that's okay ... I'm happy with Windows 7, too!

rk0567 is offline New Member

I am not agree with your point!! Currently I am using Ubuntu 10.04 LTS and windows 7 in Dual boot mode but windows 7 always annoy me ...while ubuntu 10.04 is much faster and efficient.

optimus is offline Windows Enthusiast

i believe Ubuntu is faster...actually windows 7 boot time is less after clean installation..true..but,as programms are installed especially AV,it drastically increase...!!!

Carpman is offline New Member

I believe that most of the time, people use what's best for them. I've tried Ubuntu before, and I didn't think it was all bad. In fact, there are many aspects of it that I like. But Windows serves my needs a little better (and I also use OS X on my Mac Mini as well).

arcksonn is offline New Member

Hi,

No ways the windows can be faster then the Ubuntu, Windows startup time is much more that the ubuntu. In case of performance also ubuntu has more capacity to hold the data as compared to windows. If more than the average files are opened in the windows the it just gets sticked and it just freeze.
    Last edited by arcksonn; 11th June 2010 at 09:42.

riteshtechie is offline Software Developer

Here I have to disagree, I found UnBuntu more faster than Windows 7, though i am a win 7 fan but this is what I experienced so far.

Jal
    Jal is offline Windows Enthusiast

Boot and shutdown times of Ubuntu 10.04 are extremely good and way better than Windows 7. Irrespective of how many programs I am running, Ubuntu shuts down the system in not more than 6-8 seconds. And that really impresses me. Sorry to say but the evolution graph of Ubuntu is far more steep than relatively flat Windows. Having said that, am still a Windows 7 PC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast