Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: What do you want to see in Windows 8?

alexlloyd5 is offline Beginner

I would like a built-in AntiVirus/Firewall, it doesn't have to be robust, but since Microsoft operating systems are attacked (for ages) by viruses and trojans, I'm sure they have a great experience regarding those, and the ability to avoid or eliminate them

and I wish (this would never happen) they introduce an operating system without announcing few weeks later that there are few (KB) fixes for some security risks.

and i wish (auto update) would disappear! (i always turn it off)

AHS0 is offline Senior Member

Yes, I agree with you alexlloyd5.
    Most likely we are expected to see MSE in Windows 8 by default. Yes, we also want built in, a really more advanced firewall as well.
    People who don't like it, can install a third party firewall. But we like to stick with what MS offers.

Regarding Windows Update, I also like to do things manually myself. I turn it off, when installing Windows.
    I hated when installing Windows Live Messenger 2011, the update setting returned to all its recommended setting! The same thing happened when installing Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE).
    Later I reverted back to Never Update, so I can manually do update.

alexlloyd5 is offline Beginner

Dear AHSO

The reason i always turn off Windows update feature is that every few weeks (sometimes even days) i restore my operating system from a recovery image that i already have (using Acronis Treuimage) since i tend to do alot of experiments on my machine

if autoupdate was turned on, then all those updates would be gone every time i go thru the recovery, beside i'm a little bit a paranoid person and do not like downloads which are done in the background of my system

What i use and prefer is a famous tool called (Auto patcher) from Link

where i can chose what (and what not) to install

More ideas:

1.When you buy a cellphone, it has already the stopwatch and countdown timer. But Windows lacks both!
    I wish to see a very good, fully functional countdown timer, same as SnapTimer

2.The ability to reduce windows to their title bar. As this app does that.

3. The ability to set transparency to your desktop shortcuts.

Bellaar is offline Windows Enthusiast

I would love to see the print option added to Media Player in the file options, the same as ITunes has, you have a playlist of songs you want to burn, after you burn tracks you print that playlist, song title, artist & wulla nice & neat, cut to fit to CD holder, brilliant idea for me because my hand writing is YUK!!

What I do now is add music files to Itunes from Media Player, burn, print, NEAT

Exclamation What I don't want to see in Windows 8

Neowin.net:
    Microsoft may fight Windows 8 piracy by using the cloud

My friend and I were talking about this and I agreed with him as he told me:

that's plain stupid
    a - it will be a super easy way for hackers / malware authors to inject their files into windows
    b - people that can't access the internet won't be able to use windows
    c - usual security/privacy warnings about everything using "cloud" based services

Maybe they don't focus very much on security, what they want is more and more money
    (if windows 8 is like that, then i won't upgrade at all ! lol)
    They're stupid if they do that : most customer don't pirate windows since it comes with their pc, so they'll lose legit customers by doing this
    being greedy is always bad, it makes people make bad decisions
    What do you think? Please share.

oh, I just figured out that you can set opacity for your Desktop Gadgets as mentioned on the [link.].

I told it to my friend and he told me this:
    the effect is nice, but i can't stop wondering of this eats up more resources, making an alpha blend like that
    Any ideas?

The ability to make list of files in a folder easily, would be a great idea.
    Also to be able to include the size of each file and last modification date, would be great.
    What do you think?

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by AHS0 View Post
    The ability to make list of files in a folder easily, would be a great idea.
    Yes, that would be nice!

Default Another reason that would make me want to stay away from Windows 8

Neowin.net: "Wind" might be the Windows 8 UI

I was talking with a friend and he told me :
    hmm, it's only a rumor
    but i think a full "3d" interface would be awful
    imagine having to carry 3d glasses whenever you want to use your computer ?
    also, the goal of an UI is to be non-intrusive
    well, as i said before , only a rumor, but if it was true, this would be another thing that would make me want to stay away from Windows 8.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast