Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: What do you want to see in Windows 8?

AHS0 is offline Senior Member

Windows 8 UI Revolution Triggers Fear and Loathing

My friend and I read the link above, and here is what we agree about:

I read this article, and I think this is not the only thing people are worried about. I'm unsure that SIlverlight is powerful engough to handle professional applications. I still think they want to appeal to the "novice" , "casual" user more and less to the professionals.

Are you ready for Windows 8?
    Things will be different once you logon to your Windows 8 PC! You will now be welcomed with a Start Screen which will very personal, mosaic and tiled, just like the Windows Phone 7 tiles. While you would still see the taskbar, the Start Menu will be replaced with a tile-based Start screen. These Live tiles with notifications, will display up-to-date information at all times. The start screen would display Windows 8 apps which will work on laptops, desktops and tablets.

LordAsher is offline New Member

no windows would ruin its doing great right now being run by a private company why change that and have microsoft screw with it and mess it up plus knowing microsoft you woudnt be able to find it either

Alt+Tab: on the switcher dialog,

http://i.msdn.microsoft.com/dynimg/IC306400.png

which in this case according to the screenshot in the link, the selected window is desktop, the border of the window there, is glassy. It would be nice to be able to select between different colors. Green would be nice default color. The border to be green, it’s easier for the eyes to determine what window is currently selected in the switcher dialog.

Lightbulb

Our talk about comments from Introducing the team - Building Windows 8

MikeK's comment is true also : HTML5/JS isn't appropriate for "real" applications.

Frank Trout
    My guess is that you are leaving out the bulkier apps from Windows 8 (Media Center, etc.) to live up to the promise of a slimmer. more lightweight OS. I am also hoping you will make such apps available optionally from the Windows Store. My concern is the lack of information on the business aspect of the OS and how all these new features effect it. I also know it is extremely early to be concerned about it, but thats my job
    Yes, removing media center, yes, maybe. But media player is useful. media center is useless to many people.as long as they don't use their PC for that purpose.

xpclient
    "Broadly speaking, I would like to give one piece of advice to the Windows teams (although I am sure they know better than me): just let Windows 8 do *everything* did Windows 7 did and more. Take special care to not cause major feature regresssions and existing features breaking or done away with. That will keep everyone upgrading happy."
    About App Store, that Magnus posted his comment:

IMO, app store = USELESS on a PC (there is already the whole internet, why would one want to restrict himself to an app store.....) I'd find it more restricting than anything. His central update idea isn't as bad, however. It would allow to have only one program searching for updates and not one per software vendor.

Default Pin Items to the Taskbar

Maybe in Windows 8, we have easier implemented features to be able to How to Pin Special Windows Items to the Taskbar
    And also be able to pin more than 15 items in the Taskbar.

Default Alt-Tab bug in Windows 7

Alt-Tab - Alt-Tab - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Note:
    Some users report that the switcher dialog does not stay on top[8][9] while it is displayed, but one can navigate through this dialog using mouse even if it is completely overlapped by some window. This bug is reported to be user profile specific. Some user profiles on the same machine may encounter this bug, some not. As discovered, the problem is caused by desktop gadgets system. After killing sidebar.exe process (which hosts the gadgets), the problem disappears. After restarting sidebar the problem appears again.
    It sure needs to get fixed in Windows 8.

Quote Originally Posted by AHS0 View Post
    Maybe in Windows 8, we have easier implemented features to be able to How to Pin Special Windows Items to the Taskbar
    And also be able to pin more than 15 items in the Taskbar.
    And like this one : 6 Windows Taskbar Useful Tips i think Windows 8 should has this ability itself, without installing any other app.
    and Windows 7 Jump Lists Fix and Tricks - TechSpot Guides
    Last edited by AHS0; 26th August 2011 at 17:34.

Default Small changes that make a BIG difference!

Small changes that make a BIG difference
    Improving our file management basics: copy, move, rename, and delete - Building Windows 8 - Site Home - MSDN Blogs

I agree with Good stuff’s comment:
    “Any Windows user knows that it's the small changes that make a big difference! THANK YOU!”
    As Paul of WinSuperSite writes on Microsoft Highlights New File Management Functionality in Windows 8

“This seems like a small thing, I know. But I like what I see here, and I guess this falls under the category of Microsoft reexamining every little piece of the system.”
    So we really hope that they don’t mess up all the progress they’ve made with Win7 :

Quotes below from Welcome to Building Windows 8 - Building Windows 8 - Site Home - MSDN Blogs

JDG
    20 Aug 2011
    As both an avid video game player and a software developer, I have to say I think the preview video for Windows 8 looks like an absolutely horrendous idea. It looks great for a phone, or tablet, and remarkably similar to how Windows Phone acts, however for a desktop environment, it totally breaks the familiarity and swiftness of a mouse and cursor. Click dragging is not an enjoyable experience.
    AHS0
    @JDG agree with you. I like to refer to this quote from Maximum PC article:

'The Future of Windows: What We Want from Win 8'
    "Not surprisingly, when we asked our panel of independent hardware vendors what they wanted in Windows 8, we received a wide range of responses. Most of them took the time to laud Windows 7 for being stable and fast. One of our panel members, Kelt Reeves, owner of Falcon Northwest, told us his company is still riding high on Windows 7 sales, so much so that his only hope for Windows 8, “Is that they don’t mess up all the progress they’ve made with Win7!"
    Quote below from:
    Introducing the team - Building Windows 8 - Site Home - MSDN Blogs
    Xpclient:
    "Broadly speaking, I would like to give one piece of advice to the Windows teams (although I am sure they know better than me): just let Windows 8 do *everything* did Windows 7 did and more. Take special care to not cause major feature regressions and existing features breaking or done away with. That will keep everyone upgrading happy."
    Quote below from:
    http://forum.thewindowsclub.com/tech...tml#post160194
    “Stop trying to make it a mobile OS and keep it a computer OS. If I want a mobile OS, there is windows phone already. i guess they do this to please the tablet users, but they're not the primary user base, so I think it should be a separate product and not the same one, in that case.”

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast