DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Thread: So this is how wacky things are getting with Windows 8, IE9, WLM2011?

AHS0 is offline Senior Member

Default So this is how wacky things are getting with Windows 8, IE9, WLM2011?

Super pumped for Windows 8, and liking Windows 7 more than any previous version, so I hope Windows 8 doesn’t take any steps backwards obviously.

Really liked what rahulsood said about Windows 7:
    “I am so pleased with Microsoft Windows 7 that I sometimes find myself wondering why more people aren't talking about it. I guess that's probably because Vista helped to pave the way directly to Apple for many customers.....but the difference between Microsoft Windows Vista and Windows 7 is so extreme that Microsoft should have dumped the "Windows" brand and created something fresh."
    I liked to remark my earlier post here at that I posted there this quote from Maximum PC article:

"Not surprisingly, when we asked our panel of independent hardware vendors what they wanted in Windows 8, we received a wide range of responses. Most of them took the time to laud Windows 7 for being stable and fast. One of our panel members, Kelt Reeves, owner of Falcon Northwest, told us his company is still riding high on Windows 7 sales, so much so that his only hope for Windows 8, “Is that they don’t mess up all the progress they’ve made with Win7!"
    It makes us sad to know a little about the upcoming OS from Microsoft. And those little things are not good news at all.
    So this is how wacky things are getting with Windows 8, IE9, WLM2011?

Paul Thurrott comments on Windows 8 UI and release date

My take – DISASTER. If Windows for the PC is changed that radically, let me be the first to say I smell Windows Vista 2 – the Sequel.

Windows 6.2.7867: First Impressions from CES 2011

About bigger buttons from link above my friend and I talked about this:

“the screenshots are hard to read, I mean, the screen resolution looks bad, the UI doesn't look very different from Win7 except there are bigger (why ?) buttons on the UI. Yes, but completely useless to most of the users who don't own a tablet pc yet
    if it's intended for tablet PCs then I hope that feature can be turned off because I wouldn't like big buttons to take more screen space, it would look ugly (at least for my taste) and eat up space that could be better used”
    Windows 8 build 7926 setup.exe screenshot surfaces

“as said in the post find the rumors about windows 8 being cloud-based quite alarming. If it's true, then we won't have a "real" OS anymore. (also, it will be terrible for people like me or you who have bad internet connections)”

Neowin.net: Internet Explorer 9 doesn't please all

“wow, it seems that they went the same way in IE9 than in WLM2011, removing a lot of useful features"

What do you think? If you wanted to sympathize with me, feel free to PM me.
    Last edited by AHS0; 14th February 2011 at 17:54.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Well, I dont think the Windows brand should be or even needs to be dumped! Vista was dumped fast; yes - Microsoft had to!

Until we get to see a legit Beta version of Windows 8, one just cant be sure. Its as a case of all smoke with little or no fire - after all, rumors and speculations do give good web traffic

I personally do not think Microsoft will be taking any steps backwards with Windows 8. They will continue to build on the great work they did in Windows 7.

But then I guess only time will tell...

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

A lot of hype about Win8 and no substance. I would say: Wait and see.

I would expect some changes that will enable them to better participate in the mobile device sector (Smartphones and Tablets). It will be an uphill battle against Android. In addition they have to prepare for the arrival of ARM processors in at least the netbook and laptop area.

Note that 4th quarter WW shipments of mobile devices exceeded those of PCs (101 million vs. 97 million). The recent deal with Nokia is a clear indication that Microsoft is serious.
    Last edited by whs; 14th February 2011 at 21:12. Reason: typo

redblade8 is offline Beginner

Quote Originally Posted by HappyAndyK View Post
    Well, I dont think the Windows brand should be or even needs to be dumped! Vista was dumped fast; yes - Microsoft had to!

Until we get to see a legit Beta version of Windows 8, one just cant be sure. Its as a case of all smoke with little or no fire - after all, rumors and speculations do give good web traffic

I personally do not think Microsoft will be taking any steps backwards with Windows 8. They will continue to build on the great work they did in Windows 7.

Hmm, they did take "some" steps backwards in windows 7 however. Yes, they will build on the great work they did on windows 7 with Windows 8, however, maybe some 'small' features will also get taken out of Windows 8 that we had before in Windows 7 as well... who knows?
    I like Windows 7, it is the best OS I have found MS to make. My second would be Windows 98 ... ( don't judge me...^^ )

As whs said, 'wait and see' I think Windows 8 will be a great OS. But I think I will also stick to my copy to Windows 7 Ultimate for when it comes out...possibly... ( Tempting, but it will probably be too much money for me to buy another Windows 8 ...Ultimate...)
    I hope that MS decides to get rid of ' Home, Professional, and Ultimate', and just make it into a one all-use OS ( which would be equivalent to giving it 'ultimate' status. )
    Cheers ! ^^

Quote Originally Posted by HappyAndyK View Post

I agree with you about rumors and speculations do give good web traffic. I think that with all these rumor mill about windows 8, MS gets benefit of gathering public feedback before doing anything.

@redblade8
    What you mean by "they did take "some" steps backwards in windows 7 however." Can you give some examples?

redblade8 is offline Beginner

Hehe, they are only minor inconviences, and not really big ( which is why I quoted "some" , but they are still minor steps backwards. )
    1. In windows 7, you cannot uninstall Internet Explorer 8. In vista, you could 'uninstall' features such as internet explorer 8, und in windows 7, you can only 'disable' internet explorer. ( leaving files of internet explorer on your computer...)
    2. Lack of classic start menu ( Ivo from sourceforge does a great job of fixing that with classic shell, but still... )
    3. Older programs/games or 16 bit programs do not run...( You have to get a VM )
    4. Winsxs, with virtualization, und low GB SSD's around, ( plus virus protection programs that take longer to scan such as the best one in the world Avast! ) winsxs is a good step forward from how it was done in past, but at the same time, it is no good, and takes up too much room on your HD. I know it does not take much room as it says it does, but when your harddrive thinks it is full from winsxs, you cannot add more to your HD.

the other feature <sarcastic tone> Of course is feature from paint that allowed you to make the paint brush, eraser, and other tools bigger und smaller with the + & - keys that we enjoyed in windows 98 is gone XD</sarcastic tone>

Ribbon is also default for some programs by microsoft now in Windows 7 ! They should have implemented an option to have either ribbon or classic in the programs with this...( some sort of drop down meny 'ribbon, or 'normal' / classic? ) Idk, windows 7 is still the best OS und ( my favortive ) I am sure.
    Last edited by redblade8; 19th February 2011 at 08:36.

well, as you say they are only minor things.
    1. IE8: I leave it there. I don't care about removing it or not. I use FF and Opera instead.
    2. I personally love the new start menu and taskbar in Windows 7. I keep its settings to their default. I have no app installed to tweak the settings. I keep my Windows clean.
    3. Yes, I see what you mean. I really missed playing Rayman game in Windows 2000 and later. And I respect the changes.
    4. I don't know about this.

About Ribbon feature, its awesome and productive. Yes as you said:
    Quote from Ribbon
    The Windows 7 applications Paint and WordPad now utilize a ribbon-based UI.