Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: FixWin Utility - Feedback & Suggestions

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by CHRISMUR View Post
    I have tried to run FixWin on Vista Premium and Windows 7 Premium [home] - when I try to `open` using Internet Explorer 8 - the page tries to open - NON STOP - I then have to FORCE a shutdown, otherwise IE8 would just keep trying to `open` it - hundreds of times!

I am very inexperienced in `Computing` BUT - as all I am trying to do is `Select` and `Open` an item - I am sure that I am not doing anything wrong.

I mention my inexperience because I need any suggestion to be `simplified` please.
    I am now using Windows 7 - 32 bit and Internet Explorer 8.

I carry out VERY regular Scans and Maintenance checks - my Computer is running well - no issues of any kind found on `Scans and Checks`.

I have EXACTLY the same outcome when I try to `Open` File Association Fixer - another recommendation from The Windows Club.

Is there any chance that because these are `Zip Files`- that is causing some conflict??
    I am sure that MY terminology shows my `ignorance` of Computing - but I have less than 6 Months experience of using one and very late in life.

I would really appreciate any [simplified] suggestions please. CHRISMUR.
    Actually I havent understood the problem. Why would you want to open FixWin or FAF with IE? Simply extract the contents of the downloaded zip file and then click on the extracted .exe files and the apps should open. Where exactly are you facing the problem?

CHRISMUR is offline New Member

FROM CHRISMUR. When I go to the FixWin file and click on it - I get a menu, the ONLY option that I can imagine can access the file is to select `OPEN` - when I do this Internet Explorer 8 tries to OPEN FixWin.
    FixWin tries to open - HUNDREDS of times if not stopped - I have to shutdown the Computer to stop IE8 trying to `OPEN` FixWin.
    When I click [right click] onto almost everything on my Computer IE8 is what `OPENS` that selection.
    I did mention that I was VERY inexperienced in Computing [6 months] and while I realise that no-one in these `Forums`will want to `teach` me the basics of `Computing`- I do not know what `EXTRACTING` from the zip file involves.
    Why would it be that what I have described about almost EVERYTHING that I use on my Computer `OPENING` with Internet Explorer 8 - seems `incorrect`with regard to FixWin ??
    I really appreciate your reply Andy - but I must admit that I do not understand `extract`.
    What do complete novices - like me do when they get a `problem` that they need help with? - When I went to School and University there were no Personal Computers and I did not use a Computer during my working life.
    Any further [simplified] help very much appreciated. CHRISMUR.

LeeW is offline Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by CHRISMUR View Post
    FROM CHRISMUR. When I go to the FixWin file and click on it - I get a menu, the ONLY option that I can imagine can access the file is to select `OPEN` - when I do this Internet Explorer 8 tries to OPEN FixWin.
    FixWin tries to open - HUNDREDS of times if not stopped - I have to shutdown the Computer to stop IE8 trying to `OPEN` FixWin.
    When I click [right click] onto almost everything on my Computer IE8 is what `OPENS` that selection.
    I did mention that I was VERY inexperienced in Computing [6 months] and while I realise that no-one in these `Forums`will want to `teach` me the basics of `Computing`- I do not know what `EXTRACTING` from the zip file involves.
    Why would it be that what I have described about almost EVERYTHING that I use on my Computer `OPENING` with Internet Explorer 8 - seems `incorrect`with regard to FixWin ??
    I really appreciate your reply Andy - but I must admit that I do not understand `extract`.
    What do complete novices - like me do when they get a `problem` that they need help with? - When I went to School and University there were no Personal Computers and I did not use a Computer during my working life.
    Any further [simplified] help very much appreciated. CHRISMUR.
    What Andy meant by Extract is to Double-Click the file, when it opens, at Top Left you will see an option to Extract All Files. Click that and you will be presented with the option to Extract the FixWin File/Folder to a destination of your choosing( I usually don't select a folder and keep it as the shown default, will extract it to same directory as downloaded file). Once it extracts it you will have the folder with the FixWin.exe , just Double-Click to run. If you have trouble running the application, Right-Click the FixWin.exe file and select Run as Administrator

Hope this helps
    Lee

FixWin, the Windows Doctor, has been updated to v 1.2 - mainly bug fixes. Homepage, Download links remain unchanged, as usual,

rkonit is offline Gold Member

kflack is offline New Member

Well one fast way to take about 100 steps backwards in fixing my Windows Media Center.

Thought there was the possibility I might have corrupted Windows Media Center Database for the viedo files so decided to use this winfix utility to clear the cache. It tells your to take a system checkpoint so your can return to your previous config if you don't like the results....

I did a full system checkpoint (Manually) and a second one via the utility...

I had also made a copy of the database in the same directory with a different name (Just in case)...

So listen to this....The utility managed to not only delete the database, it also deleted my renamed copy.....Thats OK I though I'll just go to a restore to put everything back to normal.....well low an behold the file is not backed up by system restore....

SO this utility managed to delete not only the cache but the entire Media Center Set-up for the TV files that had been laboriously edited to include only my stations being received.....(Probably a couple of hours work)

Worst of all my bug,which was that some files with a WMV extension were not showing up in the folder view, is still not fixed......

I'll see you in another 10 hours of so once I have Cooled off to tell you how things worked out.... !!!!

SoundMix is offline Beginner

Default Restart

After opening FixWin 1.2 and looking at all the options I decided to close FixWin. FixWin says I have to restart the computer even though I did not "fix" anything. This is repeatable.

FixWin 1.1 does not have this behavior.

Paul
    Last edited by SoundMix; 3rd April 2010 at 16:06.

^ Yes even I noticed that and bought it to Ramesh's attention.

rkonit is offline Gold Member

@kflack I didn't get so clear, FYI by clearing MC database...all caches destroyed. reason being you are experience just like a free Media Center and running it first time.

@SoundMix and @HappyAndyK Thanks for feedback...

idefikir is offline New Member

Exclamation Did not fix it

I had not used my laptop about 6 months. When I start to use it again I saw that sleep and hibernation do not work they just turned off screen. I thought "hiberfil.sys" could cause this problem and to able to delete it I turned off hibernation in cmd with run as administrator like this "powercfg -h off". After restart I could delete "hiberfil.sys" and reactivate it with run as administrator like this "powercfg -h on". However I do not see hibernate anymore and hibernation and sleep do not work still, check image please what I see.
    ps: not allowed to use url

I google for solution and found FixWin v1.2 then used system file checker utility, create system restore point and in additional fixes enable hibernate and hybrid sleep feature. After restart it did not fix it. Normally I do not use shutting down, use almost every day hibernation also auto wake up with music
    I need your help to fix hibernation and sleep in my windows 7 ultimate 32 bits OS.
    Sincerely.
    Last edited by HappyAndyK; 13th June 2010 at 14:23. Reason: Link fixed

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast