DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Feedback: Right-Click Extender for Windows 7 - Add or Remove context menu items

LeeW is offline Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by HappyAndyK View Post
    Wow its got too many options!
    LOL. I'm actually looking at adding a couple more while I wait for results of testing from everyone

bamajon197 is offline Beginner

Ok I've tested out the pre-release version of right-click extender and here are my comments.

Overall, program works great and conveniently compartmentalizes numerous context menu tweaks into a single program.

Here are my suggestions (quite a few but they should really make the program tight!):

1. In addition to Files/Folders, Desktop, and My Computer Tabs, I would additionally add a drives tab to add features (command window, defrag, disk cleanup, etc.) when one right-clicks on a drive in the my computer window.

2. The blue box that prompts the user about registry backups when the program is first launched needs an X or close button once the reader has understood the message.

3. Does the register/unregister dll/ocx feature have administrative privileges already in it's reg file?

4. The toggle file/folder visibility option doesn't create a context menu item. Not sure how this is different from hide/unhide files and folders though.

5. For the admin command prompt option:
    Vista and 7 have the ability to right click + shift a drive/folder/desktop background to open an unelevated command prompt. On a fresh installation, I remove this option by deleting the keys (HCR\Directory\Background\shell\cmd, HCR\Directory\Background\cmd, and HCR\Drive\Shell\cmd) from the registry and install
    Open Command Prompt Shell Extension (cannot post links but search google but website is code(dot)kliu(dot)org) and adds open command window both unelevated and elevated, to the right click menu of every folder, background, and drive on the computer.

So for this option, I would like a similar functionality, right click + shift to open command prompt for unelevated (already built in) and elevated (from the program) but to be sure it works in desktop background, folders, and drives.

6. Folder option to create short cut in a different location (similar to Nirsoft NirExt CreateShortcut++)
    and run with parameters (similar to run with parameters or Nirsoft Advanced Run).

7. Most importantly, create context menu entires for select-all and invert selection. I use these functions quite frequently. Here is a website for icons as well:
    (I cannot post links but search google for the terms "X-Qute Button Bar Icons")

What do you think?

Thank you for allowing me to test your program.

Quote Originally Posted by bamajon197 View Post
    Ok I've tested out the pre-release version of right-click extender and here are my comments.

Overall, program works great and conveniently compartmentalizes numerous context menu tweaks into a single program.

Here are my suggestions (quite a few but they should really make the program tight!):

1. In addition to Files/Folders, Desktop, and My Computer Tabs, I would additionally add a drives tab to add features (command window, defrag, disk cleanup, etc.) when one right-clicks on a drive in the my computer window.

2. The blue box that prompts the user about registry backups when the program is first launched needs an X or close button once the reader has understood the message.

3. Does the register/unregister dll/ocx feature have administrative privileges already in it's reg file?

4. The toggle file/folder visibility option doesn't create a context menu item. Not sure how this is different from hide/unhide files and folders though.

5. For the admin command prompt option:
    Vista and 7 have the ability to right click + shift a drive/folder/desktop background to open an unelevated command prompt. On a fresh installation, I remove this option by deleting the keys (HCR\Directory\Background\shell\cmd, HCR\Directory\Background\cmd, and HCR\Drive\Shell\cmd) from the registry and install
    Open Command Prompt Shell Extension (cannot post links but search google but website is code(dot)kliu(dot)org) and adds open command window both unelevated and elevated, to the right click menu of every folder, background, and drive on the computer.

So for this option, I would like a similar functionality, right click + shift to open command prompt for unelevated (already built in) and elevated (from the program) but to be sure it works in desktop background, folders, and drives.

6. Folder option to create short cut in a different location (similar to Nirsoft NirExt CreateShortcut++)
    and run with parameters (similar to run with parameters or Nirsoft Advanced Run).

7. Most importantly, create context menu entires for select-all and invert selection. I use these functions quite frequently. Here is a website for icons as well:
    (I cannot post links but search google for the terms "X-Qute Button Bar Icons")

What do you think?

Thank you for allowing me to test your program.
    Thanks for the feedback.
    1: I'll look at adding Drive options, shouldn't be a problem

2: The first box the pops up only displays while backups are generated then closes and displays a successful completetion box which has close and an X at bottom ( When the box itself is clicked it will close.

3: The Register/Unregister option is the same as was in XP, I'll check it, LOL, I wasn't going to add that but it was requested and I honestly just threw it in.

4: The Hide/Unhide Files/Folders is set within the menu itself when a folder or file is selected, this lets you change the attributes of the selected file. I wanted to add it as a context but couldn't get it working correctly, so I added it as other apps have. The Toggle Visibility is to Hide/Unhide all files same as going through Tools/Folder Options and selecting Hide/Unhide

5:I'll look at the Command Prompt option as well

6: I'll check into the the Select All option as well

The elevated command prompt option is there, it just needs to be added, in addition to directories, drives, desktop background, and folders. The website that hosts the program I used in the past has source code available if that helps.

I used SelectAll from crashcoursesoftware. Although an old program, the shell extensions work. The installer is old though with horribly looking 16-bit icons. To remedy in the past, I installed the software, copied the dll files (selall.dll and invsel.dll files) from windows dir to a temp. directory, uninstalled the program, used reshacker to remove the horrible icons, copied back to the windows directory and manually registered using regsvr32.

The copy shortcut to different directory would be ultra useful, and you might try looking for createshortcutthere from donationcoder.

The copy shortcut to different directory would be ultra useful, and you might try looking for createshortcutthere from donationcoder
    When I was looking for ideas to add I had come across an application may have been that one but I didn't like the idea how it ran all the time. Being I'm now tossing the vbscripts in lieu of using tiny apps to handle the same thing, I may write one to handle that as well

Good deal. Let me know when you finish your additions/revisions and I will test again.

StrayCat is offline Senior Member

Please count me in too L.W.
    But I do have a problem - gmail don't allow (zipped) exes

...unless maybe when you change/remove the extension.

Quote Originally Posted by StrayCat View Post
    Please count me in too L.W.
    But I do have a problem - gmail don't allow (zipped) exes

...unless maybe when you change/remove the extension.
    Yea, had that problem sending to others with GMail but found a way around it. But good news, I'm adding a few requested options testers asked for, and thanks to the testing the application is pretty much complete. Now finishing up and almost ready to public release

I do thank you for volunteering to test. I'll keep you in mind for other applications as I finish them

L.W.

Actually off the topic, but I do have a request although I don't know how difficult it would be to code. There was a program for Vista called Ave's folder background that created an additional tab in the properties window when right-clicking a folder and you could customize the background of a window, change the font, text color, tool-tip info, etc.

I know your schedule is full, and I know one of your future projects is a right-click menu editor, but would a win-7 version be easy to write or has MS taken the ability to customize folders out of the end-user's hands.

Thanks!

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Right Click Extender v 2.0 is available.

Download | Screenshots.

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast