Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By jaylach
  • 1 Post By jaylach

Thread: Jay's Windows 10 experience

jaylach is offline Windows Enthusiast

Default Jay's Windows 10 experience

I just finished the install as a dual boot with Win 8.1 on my media system.

Here is what I did:

1) I shrank my data partition by 120,000 MEG (117GB) and used that for the install.

2) I did a clean install to the unallocated space created by the partition reduction in 1) using a custom install to select and format that space.

3) I just let it do its thing and all went well. Install took about 30 minutes.

I will say that there could be some screen activity at the beginning of the install as I was tempted to re-boot as I thought it crashed. For better than 5 minutes I had nothing but the blue 4-pane windows logo and the animated dots in a circle, not hard drive or optical drive activity apparent via their busy lights.

One thing that I liked is that it offered to get system settings from another install which would mean my Win 8.1 side of the dual boot. Since I just got done doing a complete image backup I said to go for it. I haven't delved too far into things yet but my favorites were already here... or at least in part. It imported some but not all favorites. Also my log in info for here was retained.

The MS warnings state that you will not be able to play DVD video but, as is the case with Win 8, the install of a third party player solves this. I installed the VLC player and will install Windows Essentials Codec Pack including Media Player Classic later.

At the moment I have no audio but hope that will be resolved when I use the install disk for my video card although I may try Win Updates first.

Had the same issue as with Win 8.1 with one of my favorite 'little games' called Zuma Deluxe. Just too choppy and, overall, just not playable. As with running in 8.1 changing the compatability mode to have it run in 16bit color mode instead of the default 32bit color made the game totally playable.

Audio was restored by installing video card drivers. Yep, video card as I use HDMI.
    HappyAndyK likes this.

Had my first Win 10 crash and also found an issue.

The crash was just a system failure and I didn't bother writing down the text. It was just a pre beta crash which is to be expected, system error. I just let the auto reporting gather the info and send.

The 'issue' involved Office Word version 2007. For this one I used the included reporting app to give personal experience. This is sort of odd. I can open Word 2007 from either a task bar icon or directly through file manager and everything is fine. However, if I open Word a second time it will fail. The main window comes up but there is no access to any functions nor can I type anything. If I re-start the system ether using "restart" or a "cold boot" Word 2007 is fine again but only for one run. Close and open and again it fails.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

I guess the version is pretty buggy. I have downloaded it but not yet installed. Will probably wait for thr public preview.

Actually it does not seem too bad. Above are the only issues I've had.

PaintShop Pro X3 will install but not run in Win 10... Same issue in Win 8.1. There is/was a patch that fixed this but it is no longer available. I actually called voice to Corel and they claimed that they no longer had the patch as X3 was too old as they are on X7. Of course they still have the patch, just won't make it available.

OK, so I am running a dual boot on my media system with 8.1 and 10. PaintShop Pro on the 8.1 side of the boot has the needed patch and runs fine. Here is what I did.

1) Installed X3 on the Win 10 side of my boot.
    2) Went to the 8.1 side of the boot and copied the entire install folder of X3 with the patch to my data drive.
    3) Copied the folder from my data drive to the install folder in 10.

I am now running PaintShop Pro X3 in Win 10 without issue. Since I have three X3 licenses I am fine as to legalities.

Then there is that rare piece of software that just works. On a whim I just installed Baldur's Gate II. It works flawlessly. For those that don't remember this game was written back in the days of Windows 98 -- possibly 2000.

I'll probably not go to Win 10 for a while. No issues but there are no new builds planned until 2015.

All in all, at this point, I think Win 10 will be just fine.
    HappyAndyK likes this.