Thread: So, you want to try Windows 10...

jaylach is offline Windows Enthusiast

Default So, you want to try Windows 10...

As I'm sure many know the technical pre-release of Windows 10 is available for free download. As I type this I am downloading the ISO image.

A few notes!

1) This is an early release and likely has issues which could cause system crashes, odd behavior and there is the chance of system infection.

2) This should not be installed on a work or critical machine.

3) If you set up as a dual boot you should immediately go to drive management and remove the drive letters for any other OS or data drives/partitions. This will isolate Windows 10 so that it cannot access these drives.

4) You should go to drive management in any other OS involved in a multiple boot and remove the drive letter for the drive/partition that holds Windows 10.

5) You MUST understand that you do this at your own risk. Neither Microsoft nor this site can be held responsible for any loss of data or system issues caused by this install.

6) You should not do this install unless you are well versed in system operations and troubleshooting. This is not a venture for the novice user.

7) If you decide to try this do not do so without making a system image backup and recovery disk. Let's face it... this is an early release and there ARE risks involved.

Other notes...

There ARE conditions.
    1) You must have a Microsoft account.

2) You cannot turn off auto updates as this is how new builds are sent.

3) You ARE expected to give feedback as to experience and issues. Some of the feedback will be automatically done while others will be manual via an included app.

Windows Technical Preview - Windows Insider Program - Microsoft Windows

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

I always install these early test systems with VMware Player. That is completly risk free and allows me to switch between the systems with 1 click.

I've used virtual machines but decided I wanted to see what would happen with the actual physical hardware. I don't see much risk as I've isolated the Win 10 partition from the rest of the system.

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

If you have a second disk for the OS, that's another option. But you have to disconnect all other disks during the installation to avoid a bootmgr mix up.

Actually no, Win 10 is installed on the same physical drive as Win 8.1. I wanted the boot manager to be active for a dual boot. When I say that I isolate I just go to Drive Management and remove the drive latter for the partition for the other OS. Doing this removes the ability for Win 10 to access the Win 8.1 install and the other way around.

I admit that I AM taking some risk as I'm using a common data partition so things stay synced as to data, email, etc.. between the operating systems but, since I have a complete image of the setup with just Win 8.1 and I update the backups weekly I consider the risk minimal. The most that I could really lose is a few emails.