Thread: Install US version of Windows 10 living in South Korea

JimQ is offline New Member

Default Install US version of Windows 10 living in South Korea

I live in South Korea but I want to install the Windows 10 (US) English version on my laptop when it comes out later next month. I actually do not want ANY part of my laptop to be in Korean, I just want the straight up US version complete with Cortana. Does anyone know how I can do this? My laptop is a Lenovo Y50 running Windows 8.1. Thanks ~Jim

Kapil Arya is offline Microsoft MVP

Hello and welcome to TWCF,

Since your current installation language is Korean, then if you upgrade, you'll have Korean language on Windows 10 too. If you want to English (US) then, you will need to use Add features to Windows 10 option and follow the on-screen instructions. You MAY need to pay additionally to buy English (US) language pack (as per updates till now).

Hope this helps, Good luck

JimQ is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kapil Arya View Post
    Hello and welcome to TWCF,

Since your current installation language is Korean, then if you upgrade, you'll have Korean language on Windows 10 too. If you want to English (US) then, you will need to use Add features to Windows 10 option and follow the on-screen instructions. You MAY need to pay additionally to buy English (US) language pack (as per updates till now).

Hope this helps, Good luck
    Thanks for the reply. I failed to mention that I bought my laptop in the USA with English(US) installed. Is language the only difference between the US and international versions? Cortana will be available in only some countries, South Korea not being one of them. I'm not crazy about using a VPN to download windows 10 but I might. What do you think about the VPN option?

Kapil Arya is offline Microsoft MVP

If you have English (US) too installed right now, set it as primary language and remove Korean. Upgrade then.

Good luck again