Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows 10 won't let me revert to Windows 7

M. Part is offline New Member

Default Windows 10 won't let me revert to Windows 7

Two weeks after 'upgrading' to Windows 10, I've had enough. I'm not happy with it, and I want to revert back to Windows 7.

But when I tried the option to do this (via the Update and Security settings), a message appeared: "We're sorry, but you can't go back. The files we need to take you back to a previous version of windows were removed from this PC."

Well. I'm sorry, but I have not removed any files; so I can only presume that this must have been done by Windows during the upgrading process.

So, how do I go back to Windows 7? Please help.
    Last edited by M. Part; 9th August 2015 at 20:52.

Digerati is offline Windows Enthusiast

If it has been less than a month, you "should" be able to roll back. Of course should and can don't always meet eye to eye.

This message may occur if certain folders were deleted by a disk clean up program which means you may be out of luck. See this to see if it helps.

That said, because Windows 7 is already 6 years old and mainstream support from Microsoft has already ended, it really is better for security reasons alone (in addition to faster performance) that you work your way through the learning curve and keep Windows 10.

Personally, I never could get used to Windows 8.x start screen and Windows 10's new Start Menu didn't satisfy me either. If, like me, your complaint with Windows 10 is primarily the Windows start screen and menu, then I recommend Start10. Start10 brings back the familiar W7 Start Menu and lets you boot directly to the Windows Desktop to make W10 work, look and feel almost exactly like the familiar W7. It cost $5 (after a 30-day trial period) but IMO, it is well worth it.

There is also Classic Shell. This product also brings back the W7 start menu and screen, is free and very popular too. StartIsBack is another very popular start screen alternative. It is not free, but pretty close at $3 for 1 PC.

I would urge you to give these products a try (one at a time) then see if you can live with W10. If you can, it won't belong before W10 is totally intuitive and then you can be sure your system (and all users of your computer) are safe and secure.

Many thanks. It's a pity Windows didn't warn against the effects of disk clean-ups. I have a desktop PC (nothing else) and I did indeed use the new AVG which was downloaded shortly after the Windows 10, and this could be the cause of some of the problems (and there are many) I've encountered.

It's possible that some of these difficulties may be resolved over time, and I may learn to live with some of the changes, so I shall follow your advice and stay with Windows 10 for another 7-10 days before making a final decision.

I do have a system back-up taken a couple of months ago, before I upgraded, on an external hard drive. If I used this to back up, would this take me back to Windows 7 if I decided to revert?

Otherwise, I could try your suggestion of the stardock start screen, etc.. But even so, unless the use of the zoom facility (among other things) is made easier, I might have to consider saying goodbye to Microsoft altogether, which would be sad. At present, Windows 10 is not at all user friendly, and the Windows' claims of 'Quick Access' and 'Easy Access' are a joke.

I'm just an ordinary member of the public (retired) with a home computer, and, as with cars, I don't expect to have to learn to be a mechanic; I simply want the vehicle to be easy to drive without any problems. I suspect that all the feedback thus far about Windows 10 has been from knowledgeable computer enthusiasts and experts, for whom the difficulties of new systems such as this are easily dealt with. The general public may not be so happy with it just yet.

hackerman1 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digerati View Post

That said, because Windows 7 is already 6 years old and mainstream support from Microsoft has already ended, it really is better for security reasons alone (in addition to faster performance) that you work your way through the learning curve and keep Windows 10.
    Support for W7 has not ended !

Extended support continues until 2020-01-14.
    This means that Microsoft will continue to release security-updates for yet another 4.5 years, and that W7 will be safe to use until that support ends.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/gp/lifepolicy

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...ha=windows%207

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...#gp/lifePolicy

You should know that.
    I know that you are a big MS-fan, but please donīt post incorrect information just to get more people to use W10.....

Quote Originally Posted by M. Part View Post
    I do have a system back-up taken a couple of months ago, before I upgraded, on an external hard drive. If I used this to back up, would this take me back to Windows 7 if I decided to revert?
    Yes, if you have a backup it would give you back W7.

Phoebe is offline Beginner

I was unable to restore the system from an earlier restore point, as it told me something was 'corrupted'.

But I have found a 'Factory Image Recovery' icon in 'Devices and Drives' (I have a DELL PC).

If I use this, will it restore to Windows 7? Or will I encounter problems if I attempt it?

I was unable to restore the system from an earlier restore point, as it told me something was 'corrupted'.
    You said:
    A system restore point is not the same as a full system-backup.

I'm not an expert, I'm completely confused about all that, just as I am fearful of activating the Factory Image Recovery. Knowing my luck, that would make things even worse! But what would actually happen if I did?

System restore points can be used to restore the system after you fx. have done an upgrade and installed new drivers or programs that causes problems.
    Simplified it works (almost) like the recycle bin where you can restore the latest deleted files, but only those....

A "real" system backup is a copy of the whole system, the operating system and all your personal files and folders.
    Itīs a "time-machine"....

Itīs created with a backup-program like fx. Macrium Reflect, which is what iīm using and recommending.
    Macrium Reflect is FREE for personal use and very reliable, Iīve used it since 2008 and i have never had any problems.

http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

I donīt know what the "Factory Image Recovery" does, but it might delete all your personal files.
    What you can do is create a backup with fx. Macrium Reflect, and save the backup to an external harddisk or USB-memory.

Then you can try the "Factory Image Recovery".
    If your files are deleted, you can get them back by copying them from the backup.
    Last edited by hackerman1; 13th August 2015 at 08:32.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast