Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By HappyAndyK

Thread: How to reset file & folder permissions to default in Window?

crc62 is offline New Member

Default How to reset file & folder permissions to default in Window?

Thanks in advance for any help, I had to set the ownership and permissions to everyone and full control on the Win 7 c:\ in order to even boot the laptop.

I then got most things working then I proceeded to take advantage of the free upgrade to Windows 10. Most things work well but I'm sure having the user everybody with full control over the whole drive is very unsafe. My dilemma is I thought the win 10 upgrade would reset the everyone user to default rather than leaving the ownership and permissions as they were in Win 7. I've looked for 2 days to see how to reset the ownership / permissions to the correct levels, I'm nervous about trying anything because I cant find current info for windows 10 to restore the default ownership / permissions. I dont want to mess things up any more.

Anyone have any Ideas.

Thanks again

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

TechNet suggests that you run the following command in an elevated command prompt window:

Code:
    secedit /configure /cfg %windir%\inf\defltbase.inf /db defltbase.sdb /verbose
    Create a system restore point and try this. If the results are not to your liking or as expected, you can go back.

You could get additional general information at KB313222.
    jcgriff2 likes this.