Thread: No start button - no Windows search - no Apps - No rollback and slower than MS Dos 2

Jurgenz is offline New Member

Default No start button - no Windows search - no Apps - No rollback and slower than MS Dos 2

Hi all,

The symptoms are described in many forums but not at the same place. Maybe I missed something.
    What I tried focussed on the Start button:

1) Editing HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\Advanced - new value EnableXAMLStartMenu DWORD(32) 0
    2) Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"} in Powershell
    3) Swich to tablet mode and back - It takes **Minutes** to open the info-center. ANd there even longer to open the settings, by the way
    4) Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth in cmd
    5) sfc /scannow in cmd
    6) checked settings > personalisation > start: set all options on except "use start in fullscreen mode" - no folders are shown and none can be selected, click on link just greys it out - after THREE minutes window opens to select folders but everything is greyed out here too.

Had upgraded this from a Win 8.1/64bit. Issue first recognized the issue after a power supply unit died and got replaced (500W). I used to open applications from the taskbar so possibly just didn't notice the issue before, but the mail icon, edge, calc and store are now gone too).

On Win 8.1 I used to have a tool to emulate a Win-7-style (more Win XP in fact) Startmenu, but I uninstalled it before upgrading to Windows 10 and don't recall which one it was.

Right now it takes at leas minute until anything reacts on mouseclicks.

I have a System image of the Win 8.1 I took before the upgrade. If I succeed in olaying this back, will I ever be able to upgrade to Windows 10 for free again?

Also haI ae a 32bit Win 10 upgraded from a Win 8.1 on a Notebook/Tablet (Asus Transformer) which runs as it should and logs in using the same hotmail.com account.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
    Jürgen

dsig is offline New Member

I have a similar problem that just started. Win10 (upgraded from 7). Today my start button stopped working .. my 'search' stopped working and so there are no apps. I have tried something posted on this site .. nothing seems to work.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

You seem to be facing multiple problems

Run these fixes and see if they help: Windows 10 Support and Solutions - Universal Fixes

Jurgenz is offline New Member

See above. I tried all of this before and nothing has any effect.

What I want to know is, if Windows will allow me to upgrade to Windows 10 again once I have restored my Windows 8.1 image.

Btw. my Stepson also upgraded to windows 10 and the apps and menu botton ceased to function yesterday.

Isn't there a very stupid setting that I turned on or off somewhere and that causes these issues? Much like - if you configured it this way, you can't expect this to work?

It has worked fine for several weeks.

Thanks for any help

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Yes, you will be allowed to upgrade to Windows 10 later on, even if you rollback to Windows 8.1 now or restore your earlier image - provided you do the upgrade within a year from the date Windows 10 was made available.

I dont think it is some satting you changed. Maybe some OS or software update just messed up your system and created multiple problems.