Thread: Can't Access IE/Chrome, Control Panel, and some basic features after acc name change

Mike4Life is offline New Member

Default Can't Access IE/Chrome, Control Panel, and some basic features after acc name change

After following a tutorial on how to change my account name for Windows 8, despite having Windows 10, I realised it seriously doesn't work for Windows 10, and now I cannot access Internet Explorer or Chrome (this person put a note saying it doesn't work for Windows 10. At the bottom of the steps).

I cannot even access the Start Menu, or Control Panel, or even the 'Search the web and Windows' at the bottom. Upon accessing Chrome, this message appears: C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe No mapping between account names and security IDs was done. I can survive, since Waterfox, Steam and Hearthstone work, but it is still quite a bother.

The person who made the thread recommends to do a 'System Restore'. However, I am not sure how to do this especially since I cannot access things such as Control Panel.

Please help.

hackerman1 is offline Senior Member

Which account do you mean, did you change the name for the ADMIN-account or a USER-account (standard) ?
    Open a command-prompt and type "Control.exe", this should start the control panel.

Note: i donīt have W10 installed (yet) so i canīt check myself, but i assume it (control.exe) works just as with previous versions.

Renaming accounts is a very bad idea, i know, i have tried that once.....

A user account. When typing that in the command prompt, it comes up with an error message which is as follows:

::{26EE0668-A00A-44D7-9371BEB064C98683}
    No mapping between account names and security IDs was done.

I was able to get the control panel open by searching it in This PC, as there were many different control panel programs there, most of which didn't work, however one did. Still, many of the buttons don't work due to me messing up Windows 10.

HA I just restarted the computer and everything works perfectly - it even changed the user name from USER-PC to Mike4Life! FYI, I didn't restart the computer straight away in case that messed things up further, but everything's fine now! Sorry for wasting your time!

hackerman1 is offline Senior Member

Good to hear.

When you have messed up the system by renaming an account:
    logout from the USER-account
    login to the ADMIN-account
    copy and save all important files (documents, video, audio) etc. from the USER-account, somewhere else then the default location (C:\users\...)
    delete the USER-account
    create a new USER-account
    move all saved files back