Thread: No low battery notification in Windows 10

Rwin10 is offline New Member

Default No low battery notification in Windows 10

Laptop running windows 10 build 10240, when the battery level reaches the preset low level value (doesn't matter what level - 10, 15 20% ----) , the pc shuts down instantly with no warning. Have found no useful posts on the internet about this. Just how to set the levels and how to turn on/ turn off the notification. But the problem is -- no notification appears, whether the notification setting is on or off.

One possible root of the problem is hinted at in a patch KB3070365 that was released for build 10130 to correct what was called "unresponsive flyouts" from several apps including one called battery.

Is anyone else currently having this issue with your version of windows 10: Once the low battery level is reached the PC abruptly with no warning (no sound, no message, nothing but a black screen and dead keyboard) shuts off. It doesn't go through shut down, or hibernate, or sleep. The stoppage is like an instant loss of power. All unsaved material is lost from open apps and the startup afterward is very long as though something has to be repaired or replaced before the system can operate properly again.

Am interacting with Microsoft service on this, but it was treated as a first time occurrence.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

The issue is not the levels where the notifications are suppose to occur or how to change these levels. The issue is that the notifications that are suppose to happen DO NOT HAPPEN.

Brief update - no resolution yet. Worked with laptop manufacturer Lenovo via chat. (good techs, good responses) Have received latest battery drivers, upgraded chip set drivers, still same black screen with no warning. Latest recommendation was restore to factory win8.1 condition. There I came upon some mixed comments: Phone service (who wanted me to buy software maintenance) said since I had upgraded to win10 and now was using corrupted drivers (since the low battery notification wasn't working), If I restore, I will still be using the same corrupted drivers, so the way to go was buy a brand new operating system copy to restore from. Anyone have a similar experience with the need to get a fresh system copy???
    Have a full backup completed and am ready to do a restore, but wonder if its worth the effort?

There are free 3rd party tools Laptop Battery monitoring tools available if you are interested ...

dajohn123 is offline New Member

I had the same problem. It is possible that your low battery level (to be notified) is set below the level where your battery actually dies. Try using 25% for low battery level. I have also seen that the notification will not pop up for using a low battery level above 25%. I hope this solves your problem. It solved mine.

I had to increase my low battery (notification) level from 25% to 30% since I wasn't always getting the notification at 25%. I think it depends on how much battery Windows 10 is currently using when the battery starts to get low. Windows 10 must require a lot more remaining battery power or the PC shuts off.

when I am busy, I sometimes forget to do something about the low battery notification, so I also have set my critical battery level to 28% and set the critical battery level action to "sleep", so I better realize I need to plug in the pc soon or else!

There is a major time gap in this response, but there was a major change in the system that resulted in resolution to the no low battery warning. My battery went completely dead and I had a 'battery damaged and must be replaced' message. It would no longer take a charge. Returned the PC (fortunately still on warranty), got a new battery and system checkout - . I now get a low battery warning as it is suppose to work. End result: Problem RESOLVED!!! Note that the resolution did not seem to be Windows 10 dependent. Apparently the original battery was failing when I first received it.