Thread: Groove Music app opens then crashes on Windows 10

TechByter is offline New Member

Default Groove Music app opens then crashes on Windows 10

When I start Groove app on a desktop system running Windows 10 Pro (General Release, build 10240), it starts scanning for music and then crashes.

Following recommendations from Microsoft's forums, I have done the following:

1. Uninstalled and re-installed Groove. No change.

2. Ran the following in a CMD with elevated permissions:
    • dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
    • sfc /scannow
    • powershell
    • Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers |Where-Object {$_.InstallLocation -like "*SystemApps*"} | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

No change.

3. Deleted all files in C:\windows\temp\

This turned out to be problematic because my user account could not access the folder (permission denied) and even using the hidden Administrator account, I could not give my user permissions on the directory. Even the Administrator account could not delete all files in the directory, so I used Lock Hunter to delete the directory on reboot. After booting, the system created a new temp directory any my user has access to it.

Deleting the temp directory had no effect on the problem with Groove.

4. Another suggestion I found involved deleting all but one of the directories that Groove searches at startup. After I had deleted all but one directory, Groove continued to crash on startup.

5. Following yet another suggestion on the Microsoft forum, I downloaded another music app (Simple Music Player) and added my music directory to it. Groove still crashes.

Groove works fine on my Surface tablet, but fails miserably on the desktop.

If anyone has solved this problem, I'd really like to know what you did.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

You seem to have done everything I could think of... and more!

Windows 10 N or KN editions do not come with the Media Feature Pack and hence Groove can crash. Your Windows 10 edition can be checked in Settings > System > About.

But since you are running the regular Windows 10 Pro edition, this does not apply to you.

Hope someone else here has some ideas about this.