Thread: A question about OUTLOOK 2007 in WINDOWS 10

stevej2 is offline New Member

Default A question about OUTLOOK 2007 in WINDOWS 10

This is a question about OUTLOOK 2007 in WINDOWS 10.

There are 2 PCs.

One (#1) was converted from Windows 7 and works fine.

The other (#2) is a new desktop replacing an old desktop that stopped working.

I installed MS Office including OUTLOOK on this new PC and copied the prior .PST file - which I can access. BUT - it has created an IMAP/SMTP folder with a name suffixed with "00000002.pst" which it puts new received email into and not into my old, copied .PST file.

Unlike #1 which has a "POP/SMTP folder and which has a "CHANGE FOLDER" button,

#2 does not have a "CHANGE FOLDER" button so I can point to the original, copied .PST file. They both state "Selected e-mail account delivers new e-mail messages to the following location" but #2 does not have a "CHANGE FOLDER".

Do you know how I can change the folder so that it uses my original .PST file from the old PC?

Arun Kumar is offline MVP Alumni

If you want it default for mail, contacts, tasks etc, make sure that the name of copied old PST is "outlook.pst". And an IMAP will always create another file so you can't combine the old PST with the new file. In my opinion, you should manually configure the email accounts and set them to be POP against IMAP. There, while configuring, you will get to select the PST file to which you want the mail to be delivered.

stevej2 is offline New Member

Default Thanks Arun

Quote Originally Posted by Arun Kumar View Post
    If you want it default for mail, contacts, tasks etc, make sure that the name of copied old PST is "outlook.pst". And an IMAP will always create another file so you can't combine the old PST with the new file. In my opinion, you should manually configure the email accounts and set them to be POP against IMAP. There, while configuring, you will get to select the PST file to which you want the mail to be delivered.
    After doing a lot of research, I followed your advice. I had tried a number of alternatives unsuccessfully. And, as usual in tech matters, I wanted to avoid making things worse. I contacted the email provider and they said I could just remove the email address and re-add it with POP3. It worked! Don't know why this isn't just standard. As a former IBM mainframe and HP3000 mini programmer/analyst for many years ... and having started with DOS and 5-1/4" floppies, I have used PCs for a long time but there are so many changes and alternatives that it can be daunting.
    Thanks again!