Thread: General Windows 10 Questions - Require Answers

HnLA is offline New Member

Default General Windows 10 Questions - Require Answers

1 - Is there a way to get rid of the first screen with time/day and just go to the password screen?

2 - At first I was able to use a simpler password to open my computer. Now I need to use the MS password. (I tried to find the basic free games that came on Windows for the past 25 years, but now I have to sign in to play). Is there a way to revert so I can just sign in simply.

3 - Thanks, the number lock post helped (Dell Optiplex, changed the number to 2147483650 in the registry)

4 - Is there a way to get Windows updates to let me know, and then I can choose when to download and install them? I think I was able to do this with Office, but not sure, and it seemed not to apply to W updates.

5 - It seems there are a lot of startup items. I tried to go to msconfig, but it wont let me change the startup items. Sent me to another place. Is there a simple way to turn off many of the startup items? I see you mention about Quick Startup. Is this better? Can Quick SU cut down on the number of programs opening at startup?

6 - Why does it need an administrator to approve my renaming an icon? Is there a way around this kind of stuff. I am the only one using the computer.

7 - Why is it so hard to do simple desktop shortcuts? This is very frustrating. I have most things set up, but it was really hard to get regular and Office shortcuts. You still cannot seem to get them to go directly to the desktop, they go to the folder then you have a move to the desktop.

Thank you very much in advance.

RolandJS is offline Senior Member

"4 - Is there a way to get Windows updates to let me know, and then I can choose when to download and install them? I think I was able to do this with Office, but not sure, and it seemed not to apply to W updates."
    Several sources told me: no
    Now, there might be a work-around, which works for W7, however, I have not tested same on somebody's W10.
    Got the following 3 batchfiles from the internet, don't remember the author, it sure was not me, somebody else gets full credit for this combo that really worked!
    WU-off.bat:
    echo disabling Windows Update for current session
    net stop wuauserv
    sc config wuauserv start=disabled
    pause
    exit

WU-on.bat:
    echo enabling Windows Update for current session
    sc config wuauserv start=auto
    net start wuauserv
    pause
    exit

WU-process.bat:
    echo process of enabling, running, disabling
    echo Windows Update for current session
    sc config wuauserv start=auto
    net start wuauserv
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuapp.exe startmenu
    pause
    net stop wuauserv
    sc config wuauserv start=disabled
    pause
    exit

Please let us know if the above OFF and ON and PROCESS batchfiles worked or did not work for your Windows 10, thanks!!

"5 - It seems there are a lot of startup items. I tried to go to msconfig, but it wont let me change the startup items. Sent me to another place. Is there a simple way to turn off many of the startup items? I see you mention about Quick Startup. Is this better? Can Quick SU cut down on the number of programs opening at startup?"

Be very carefully with adjusting Services and/or Startup, any serious mistake could result in your reaching for your full-image OS backup.
    And, there is an Ultimate Windows Tweaker for Windows 10, I do not have W10, so I have no idea what all it does. It is available from Windows Club.

"6 - Why does it need an administrator to approve my renaming an icon? Is there a way around this kind of stuff. I am the only one using the computer."
    Ultimate Windows Tweaker 4[?], from Windows Club may or may not be able to help you here.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Enable, Disable Lock Screen in Windows 10 / 8
    You can use Ultimate Windows Tweaker 4 for Windows 10 to disable it with a click.

Use local account for password. Settings > Accounts > Sign In Options > Password > Change. Select Local Account instead of Microsoft Account.
    Windows 10 Account Settings: Change User preferences

How to turn off Windows Update in Windows 10

Disable startup items.