Thread: Windows 10 Update 1511 Won't Install

tmoore563 is offline New Member

Default Windows 10 Update 1511 Won't Install

I updated my desktop PC to Windows 10 from Windows 8.1. All appeared rosy. However, after the 1511 update was released, something happened that confuses the heck out of me and several Microsoft experts (3 of them) when I requested support. My computer will not update to 1511, instead providing this cryptic message:

"There were problems installing some updates, but we'll try again later.
    If you keep seeing this and want to search the web or contact support for information,
    this may help:"

That's all the info provided and I'm stuck at 10.0.10240. Other updates (Windows Defender, et al) continue flawlessly, so it's only this one update that isn't happening. Microsoft took remote control of my computer three times and ran many tests, but gave up. If I have to, I'll reinstall Windows 10, BUT only if I don't have to reinstall applications.

I have another, smaller, and much older Toshiba laptop, that updated successfully so I know it must be something with my desktop computer.

So this is the question: Is there a way to force an update or reinstall Win 10 at the 1511 level without impacting the rest of my desktop?

Thanks for your expert advice --

Tino is offline Beginner

.....try this: Start Powershell in admin mode and enter Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Clear the contents of the C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution folder folder and then try and see if it helps. The procedure to do it is give here: Windows Update stuck downloading updates

Thank you for your attempt to help. The problem does not occur during download, but during the update process. Very quickly after the update starts, the quirky message appears. Just for the heck of it, I followed the suggested procedure, and as expected, it didn't solve the problem.

Thanks for your suggestion. I tried, but Powershell returned several errors which made no sense to me. Rather than putz up my system worse than it already is, I'm going to the professional who built my PC for me. He has the desktop now and I'm waiting for his call.

Well, I'm unhappy to say that neither my computer guy nor the Microsofties have been able to help. Both told me to re-install Windows 10. Now ain't that a kick in the crotch. Just what I wanted to do -- re-install all my applications. Be wary of supposedly-free things from Microsoft.

Makes me want to talk to Apple and see what they can offer. Please close down this topic as I'll be busy today.

Tino is offline Beginner

Windows Update Problem Fixer
    A small and simple tool to fix Problems with Windows Update Services

This tool can be used to restart Windows Update Services and two other related Services.
    It helps you to solve problems with Windows Update.
    It is very simple to use and free.

Get the free download: Download Windows Update Problem Fixer (ENG/GER) from SourceForge.net