Thread: Windows 10 requies forced restart to boot up

Sarahmarie is offline New Member

Unhappy Windows 10 requies forced restart to boot up

Earlier this week I upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10, and over the past three days I have encountered the same vexing problem. It does not matter whether I am starting up from hibernation or a complete shutdown.

When my HP laptop starts up, it initially shows a blank screen with a light blue HP logo near the middle of the screen and a rotating series of dots at the screen's bottom. Then the screen goes completely black for perhaps 10 seconds, followed by a brief reappearance of the HP logo screen. Then it returns to a black, blank screen that persists until I lean on the power button to force my laptop to power down. I then count to 15 slowly before depressing the power button again. Only after all of these actions are taken will Windows finally start up.

Even on the successful restart, Windows 10 is still starting up noticeably slower than the previous Windows 8.1, so the claim that it starts faster is ringing hollow with me.

What could be causing this unusual behavior? More importantly, short of reverting back to Windows 8.1 then reinstalling the upgrade at a future time, is there anything I can do to correct whatever is hanging it up?

RolandJS is offline Senior Member

Just a wild guess, were you able to update the graphic card/chipset drivers during the install or immediately following install? And there may be other drivers needed by Windows 10. Again, just my first wild guess.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Run the Power Troubleshooter and see if it helps.

Once you have landed on your desktop, restart your computer in Clean Boot State. Does this problem still occur? When you start the computer in clean boot, the computer starts by using a pre-selected minimal set of drivers and startup programs, and because the computer start with a minimal set of drivers, some programs may not work as you expected. Clean-boot state troubleshooting will help you isolate a performance problem - IF the problem does not occur when you are in this state.