Thread: Why won't chkdsk run correctly the first try?

trents is offline New Member

Default Why won't chkdsk run correctly the first try?

After running system file checker on all the classroom computers in a private school I provide tech support for, I am also running chckdsk /f /r. There are about 25 computers involved, all with Windows 10 installed and with all latest updates from Microsoft. These are older machines with a lot of hours on the hard drives. I have checked the SMART info on all machines and replace the drives that were in failure.

On all but about two of these machines I am finding I have to run chkdsk twice in order to get it to scan correctly. The first time the machine reboots, starts to run the chkdsk scan but immediately runs to 100% complete whereupon it boots back into Windows. When I issue the chkdsk /f /r command again it will reboot and run the full scan in a normal fashion over a period of sever hours. To have to issue the command twice is so frustrating and time consuming. These machines are old take a long time to boot.

What is happening here?

Matrix is offline Senior Member

Some file system corruption looks like.

Run Disk Cleanup to clear PC junk, and then run ChkDsk in Safe Mode. That might make the issue go away.

trents is offline New Member

But I have already run "dism.exe /online /cleanup-image/restorehealth" followed by "sfc /scannow" to restore file system health. And even so, you would not think file system corruption would manifest itself in this same way on all those machines.