Thread: Windows 7 : FAQ Answered.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Post Windows 7 : FAQ Answered.

Q: I heard that Windows Vista will be the last major OS release from Microsoft. Is that true?

A: No. Windows-based PCs will continue to form the center of our digital lifestyles, and as Microsoft executives have noted in recent days, there are still plenty of areas in which Microsoft can improve Windows. Some obvious examples include voice recognition and storage.

Q: When will Windows 7 ship?
    A: Microsoft currently plans to ship Windows 7 by early 2010, about three years after Vista.

Q: What features will be included in Windows 7?

A: Microsoft is making major functional changes to Windows 7, and it's making a wide number of much smaller changes as well. It's still early, but based on early pre-beta builds of Windows 7 and reports published online, the following changes are coming (in no particular order).

Some changes:

Kernel. Windows 7 will feature an evolved kernel and underpinnings when compared to its previous-generation predecessors, Windows Vista with Service Pack 1 (SP1) and Windows Server 2008. While it's unclear whether the "MinWin" kernel that Microsoft demonstrated in 2007 will be included with Windows 7, it is quite likely that the OS will include parallel processing capabilities, which will be implemented as .NET Framework 4.0 APIs.

User Account Control improvements. Windows Vista's most reviled feature is being completely overhauled to be more customizable. Four settings will be available.

No more Sidebar. Microsoft is removing Windows Sidebar from Windows 7, but the Windows Gadgets infrastructure remains and will be expanded. In Windows 7, Gadgets can only be viewed on the desktop. As such, the Gadget Gallery found in Windows Sidebar will be globally available and renamed to Desktop Gadget Gallery.

Windows Solution Center. Microsoft is replacing Windows Security Center with a new utility called Windows Solution Center. In addition to monitoring Windows Firewall, Automatic Updating, virus and spyware protection, Internet security settings, and User Account Control, Windows Solution Center will also monitor PC maintenance, backup, troubleshooting, Network Access Protection (NAP), and more.

Full read at WinSuperSite.

tweakwindows is offline Microsoft MVP

Nice find But, as far as I know there is no change in Windows 7 kernal...Anyway, let's see on 28th

Sol
    Sol is offline New Member

Default Rebuild the Windows kernal

Sad to hear that Microsoft has settled for slapping some mud on the old kernal. Here are a few great article written on how Windows legacy kernal has held it back from greatness!

From Win32 to Cocoa: a Windows user's conversion to Mac OS X: Page 1

From Win32 to Cocoa: a Windows user's conversion to Mac OS X?Part II: Page 1

From Win32 to Cocoa: a Windows user's conversion to Mac OS X?Part III: Page 1

PC_Head is offline Beginner

Default WMP 12 ans Media Centre

For some unknown reason i have no visulizations in WMP 12 with the new Windows 7 Beta. Nowhere can i find a button for visuliztion. Where do i find that button? Does it have one? Also, i copied all of my media files into the media libuary and then deleted them, now there is no Add Media to Libuary button. Its gone! Surely Microsoft didnt overlook something as simple as this. I read somewhere that you can only do this once at the start up of WMP 12, if this is so, thats a bloody joke! Not even Media Centre will Add Media to Libuary. Has anyone else had issues like this? and if so, how did you fix them?

seti is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by HappyAndyK View Post
    Q: I heard that Windows Vista will be the last major OS release from Microsoft. Is that true?

A: No. Windows-based PCs will continue to form the center of our digital lifestyles, and as Microsoft executives have noted in recent days, there are still plenty of areas in which Microsoft can improve Windows. Some obvious examples include voice recognition and storage.

Q: When will Windows 7 ship?
    A: Microsoft currently plans to ship Windows 7 by early 2010, about three years after Vista.

Q: What features will be included in Windows 7?

A: Microsoft is making major functional changes to Windows 7, and it's making a wide number of much smaller changes as well. It's still early, but based on early pre-beta builds of Windows 7 and reports published online, the following changes are coming (in no particular order).

Some changes:

Kernel. Windows 7 will feature an evolved kernel and underpinnings when compared to its previous-generation predecessors, Windows Vista with Service Pack 1 (SP1) and Windows Server 2008. While it's unclear whether the "MinWin" kernel that Microsoft demonstrated in 2007 will be included with Windows 7, it is quite likely that the OS will include parallel processing capabilities, which will be implemented as .NET Framework 4.0 APIs.

User Account Control improvements. Windows Vista's most reviled feature is being completely overhauled to be more customizable. Four settings will be available.

No more Sidebar. Microsoft is removing Windows Sidebar from Windows 7, but the Windows Gadgets infrastructure remains and will be expanded. In Windows 7, Gadgets can only be viewed on the desktop. As such, the Gadget Gallery found in Windows Sidebar will be globally available and renamed to Desktop Gadget Gallery.

Windows Solution Center. Microsoft is replacing Windows Security Center with a new utility called Windows Solution Center. In addition to monitoring Windows Firewall, Automatic Updating, virus and spyware protection, Internet security settings, and User Account Control, Windows Solution Center will also monitor PC maintenance, backup, troubleshooting, Network Access Protection (NAP), and more.

Full read at WinSuperSite.
    Thanks Andy. not only does it answer questions but is a very good introduction to 7 for the complete novice