DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Windows 7 pre-beta

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

MS plans to release a Public Beta of Windows 7 this Dec ... or so I have heard !

iMav is offline Gold Member

These are the comments by people who tried out Windows 7. These were posted on The Windows Blog. (They are making excellent use of the blog by bringing them under 1).
    This is what Ed Bott from ZDNet had to say:

“This loaner machine certainly doesn’t feel like it’s running pre-beta code. It’s wicked fast and eerily quiet thanks to a solid state drive. In a very long day’s worth of use it has yet to crash or display any of the flaky behavior you might expect from a beta.”

Peter Bright at ArsTechnica says:

“Windows 7 may not change much under the hood, but the extent of these interface changes makes it clear that this is very much a major release.”

That was from Peter’s post that has enjoyed the top spot on Techmeme today for most of the day.

Lance Ulanoff from PC Magazine says:

“It (MSFT) ignored the advice of dozens of pundits and is now playing out a script that, in the end, could make the company look like a band of geniuses.”

Paul Thurrott says:

“Well, let me ruin the surprise up front. Windows 7 is Windows Vista done right. If you're already a fan of Windows Vista, you'll love Windows 7 because it's a better rendition of that earlier OS. If you're a Vista hater, take heart: The makers of Windows 7 have reevaluated virtually everything about Vista and made changes small and large across the board. The result is a better Windows, no matter how you slice it.”

Jason Brooks from eWeek says:

“In the day and a half I’ve spent using Windows 7 on a Microsoft-provided Dell XPS M1330 machine preinstalled with Build 6801 of the OS, I’ve found its polish and performance a world away from the first Longhorn build I tried out at PDC 2003. At this point, Windows 7 feels more like a second beta or an early release candidate than a developer conference sneak peek.”

Andre Da Costa from ActiveWin says:

“It’s safe to say I am overwhelmed, overjoyed and most of all excited about Windows 7. This is the release of Windows everybody has been waiting for, it’s what Vista was meant to be and beyond that. Windows 7 puts the user first… This is an upgrade I am looking forward to and you should too.”

Robert McLaws from Windows-Now says:

“The Sunday before PDC, I was given the opportunity to join about 200 other journalists for a workshop on Windows 7. Lead by the dynamic (as well as unusually candid and often very self-effacing) duo of Mike Nash and Steven Sinofsky (surprisingly enough, he didn’t try to have me killed… sweet!), we were given a six hour tour of the much anticipated follow-up to Windows Vista. I didn’t know what to expect, and I walked away with the feeling I got after seeing Longhorn for the first time. yes, I believe it was just that good.”

Both Windows-Now and ActiveWin are Windows Featured Community members.

Wilson Rothman from Gizmodo says:

“…even the early build of Windows 7 feels like a fast, stable environment. There's a lot going on behind the scenes to make the OS more usable, one monumental improvement being how video memory is allocated for unseen windows. (Hint: It's not.) The result is a highly responsive machine that gets decent battery life.”
    Microsoft CEO emails customers: E-mail: Ballmer on Azure, Web-based Office

Windows 7 screen shot:

Windows Server 2008 R2 announced

* First of all 32-Bit is all done! Windows Server 2008 R2 will mark the first release of Windows that is 64-Bit only. In my opinion it’s about time. Customers haven’t been able to buy 32-Bit servers for 2 years now. So it’s time to move to 64-Bit servers!

* Virtualization – Hyper-V which is included as a feature of Windows Server 2008 right now has been making very strong progress. However with the R2 release we will add the Live Migration feature to further enhance availability of virtual machines during patching cycles and other service interruptions. We’ll also see better management higher resources for VM’s and much more!

* Streamlined Management – First of all there will be a host of new role specific management UI’s and my personal favourite PowerShell 2.0. The UI’s will be built on top of PowerShell 2.0 and there will be 240 new cmdlets inside R2. We are also adding a PowerShell GUI which will help developers write their own cmdlets. other features include an enhanced Active Directory DS management console, enhanced group policy functions(wonder if Kleefy is having anything to do with this?) and a remote-capable Server manager.

* Web – There is a big focus in this release to provide updates to IIS 7.0. In particular there will be new PowerShell management support and a host of updates that include; new IIS extensions, new reporting capabilities, better and more flexible deployment options.

* Better with Windows 7 – this sounds like a marketing term but there really are some cool things being worked on. I’ll talk more about Windows 7 in the coming months but I wanted to highlight a feature that is going to be really useful for administrators as well as end users. It’s called Direct Access and essentially it makes remote computing for end users seamless. Essentially removing the need to VPN in to your workplace! This has been something we’ve needed for a long time.

All updates via EverythingMS News Mesh.

tweakwindows is offline Microsoft MVP

The new Windows 7 boot screen is simply superb.
    Windows 7 boot screen

Windows 7 will introduce a new feature for Startup Services in Windows.

In Vista there was a new feature where you could start services with a delay, now this feature has been enhanced in Windows 7. There will now be a Trigger Start, wherein services will be started if there is a trigger.

7 will improve laptop battery life courtesy the improved core-parking technology.

jaaanseeen is offline Beginner

Windows 7 is the improved version of windows vista due to its compatibility issues with many programs... It is better than vista and faster than vista but it will take more than 2 years to develop it.. So wait.. haha... I got a beta copy and it is really cool

tweakwindows is offline Microsoft MVP

I got a beta copy and it is really cool
    ^BETA or Pre-BETA? Build number please?

Choto Cheeta is offline Trusted Member

The copy which are given to MVPs seems to be coming with WoW of Vista where runs as FAST as XP

I gave a detailed hardware test on this

Quick look at Windows 7 Hardware performance / requirements | Choto Cheeta Online

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12