Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows 7 BETA Beats XP & Vista In Performance Tests

tweakwindows is offline Microsoft MVP

Thumbs up Windows 7 BETA Beats XP & Vista In Performance Tests

Just read this fantastic test article at ZDnet and couldn't prevent myself from pa(o)sting here.

Before I go any further I feel I need to make a point, and make it clear. The build I’m testing of Windows 7 (build 6.1.7000.0.081212-1400) is a beta build, and as a rule beta builds are usually more geared towards stability than performance. That said, the performance of this build should give us a clue as to how the OS is coming along.

Rather than publish a series of benchmark results for the three operating systems (something which Microsoft frowns upon for beta builds, not to mention the fact that the final numbers only really matter for the release candidate and RTM builds), I’ve decided to put Windows 7, Vista and XP head-to-head in a series of real-world tests to find out which OS comes out top.

The bottom line is that the more I use Windows 7 the more I like it. Sure, we’re looking at a beta build here and not the final code, so things could change between now and release (although realistically final code ends up being faster than beta code). Also I still have some nagging issues relating to the interface, and some concerns that the UAC changes will break applications and other code, especially installers, but overall Windows 7 beta 1 is a robust, solid bit of code.
    Source:ZDNet

alsiladka is offline Senior Member

Now this is some true bechmarking.
    I have been using Windows 7 for the past 3 4 days now. It is definitely faster than Vista, and when your get some tasks done involving navigating to different directories, gettine some jobs done, then you realise how faster Vista and 7 are over XP in real life scenarios.

iMav is offline Gold Member

Damn, I have Windows 7 Beta for almost 5 days now but no PC install it on.

roraniel is offline Gold Member

Give it to me!! lol

Quote Originally Posted by iMav View Post
    Damn, I have Windows 7 Beta for almost 5 days now but no PC install it on.

PC_Head is offline Beginner

Ok thanx for the results but i would like to know a few more things about it. First, you score using the numbers 1, 2 and 3, is 1 bad, 2 ok and 3 the best? How is that worked out and also in the fisrt test you stated you are using 4G of Ram, would that mean you are testing the 64 bit versions? cause the 32 bit versions only show 3.25G of Ram. Just to let you know, i have tried Win 7 32 & 64, Vista-shit 32 & 64 and Win Xp (sp2)32 & 64 and for me, 64 xp blows them all away for what i use it for. Editing. I understand that 7 32 (64) is a Beta version and it is faster than Xp 32 & 64 but i found it to be very unstable, and the 64 bit version was just plain puss. Anyway thats my two cents worth.

tweakwindows is offline Microsoft MVP

I understand that 7 32 (64) is a Beta version and it is faster than Xp 32 & 64 but i found it to be very unstable,
    I have no such bad problems except some small issues.

seti is offline Member

Thanks for your work again tweak very interesting results. I am sorry but I just do not understand where PC_head is coming from. I have used XP Pro, Vista Ultimate and 7 all on my 64 bit, with only 2gig of memory and have had no problems at all. Each one seems to been an improvement on the last and I've not had any stability problems with 7 at all with my system.

rkonit is offline Gold Member

Superb Windows 7 'll be beyond the expections.

PC_Head is offline Beginner

Thanks guys but still didnt answer my questions but thats ok. I use my pc for editing. Music, movie, photos and the rest.

iMav is offline Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by PC_Head View Post
    Ok thanx for the results but i would like to know a few more things about it. First, you score using the numbers 1, 2 and 3, is 1 bad, 2 ok and 3 the best? How is that worked out and also in the fisrt test you stated you are using 4G of Ram, would that mean you are testing the 64 bit versions? cause the 32 bit versions only show 3.25G of Ram. Just to let you know, i have tried Win 7 32 & 64, Vista-shit 32 & 64 and Win Xp (sp2)32 & 64 and for me, 64 xp blows them all away for what i use it for. Editing. I understand that 7 32 (64) is a Beta version and it is faster than Xp 32 & 64 but i found it to be very unstable, and the 64 bit version was just plain puss. Anyway thats my two cents worth.
    32 bit CAN use 4GB & they DO.

The charts mention that less is better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast