Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Windows 7 why be afraid, beginners installation guide for the non tech

iMav is offline Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    Thanks James and Seti
    So that's mean i have to install all software separately ,i mean for Vista and for Win 7 ..that mean i have to install antivirus 2 times for Vista one time and for win7 one time in 2 diffrent path .. and for defragmentation i will separately defrag both drive C and D with windows defrag program and about Junk cleaner i use Ccleaner ..need to run from both partitioned where installed Vista and Win7..am i right ??

I apologize for little-bit stupid question and ofcourse for my language
    Actually yes & no. When you install the software in 7 (after you have it installed it on Vista) give the installation directory as C:\Program Files.

This make the necessary the registry entries & dll installations without you having to waste extra disk space. As far as defragging is concerned, I think defraggin from either OS will achieve the same result (though I've hardly faced any improvements after defragging).
    Last edited by iMav; 22nd January 2009 at 18:26.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

You will have to install all software twice. Once in Vista and once in 7 as they are 2 different OS

Jay
    Jay is offline Beginner

Quote Originally Posted by iMav View Post
    Actually yes & no. When you install the software in 7 (after you have it installed it on Vista) give the installation directory as C:\Program Files.

This make the necessary the registry entries & dll installations without you having to waste extra disk space. As far as defragging is concerned, I think defraggin from either OS will achieve the same result (though I've hardly faced any improvements after defragging).
    If i install Vista in C drive so i will give the software installation path C:\Program Files
    and If i install win 7 in D drive i will give path D:\Program Files
    thats u mean or what??

Nope. i mean when you install the software in 7 then also give the path as C:\Program Files.

Jay
    Jay is offline Beginner

Okey ..then if i install in path same it will ask this folder alraedy exist..do u want to continue (If i install same software in both) then i will click ok right??
    And maybe last if i do this way u suggested if some reason one OS is corrupt or i need to reinstall thn i need to install both OS again coz they share same installation program files and registry entry ??

Okey ..then if i install in path same it will ask this folder alraedy exist..do u want to continue (If i install same software in both) then i will click ok right??
    Yes.
    And maybe last if i do this way u suggested if some reason one OS is corrupt or i need to reinstall thn i need to install both OS again coz they share same installation program files and registry entry ??
    Before formatting, retrieve the Program Files folder from C: and then format/re-install & copy the program files contents back. Install apps in Vista in C:\Program Files.

Jay
    Jay is offline Beginner

Sorry ..i dont get it properly..Okey example if Win7 from D drive crash or i need to re-install then what should i do ..i have to copy C program files somewhere else and reininstall windows 7 and copy back again program files
    or i need to uninstall all software from Vista and install back again too...

Sorry for bothering but im curious about this how it works...

If you want to remove 7, nothing will happen to Vista apps.

Jay
    Jay is offline Beginner

Thats great ..but all which software i installed for win 7 that software's entries will be left
    In program files (if i installed different software )or that will be uninstall automatically when i uninstall or remove win 7 or i have to do it manually

Thats great ..but all which software i installed for win 7 that software's entries will be left
    Yup. That's the only downside.
    In program files (if i installed different software )or that will be uninstall automatically when i uninstall or remove win 7 or i have to do it manually
    You will have to manually uninstall/delete the folders from C:\Program Files

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast