Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows 7 why be afraid, beginners installation guide for the non tech

seti is offline Member

Default Windows 7 why be afraid, beginners installation guide for the non tech

Ok I am not a tech minded person, but I wanted to try out windows 7 and with help I've done so. Now if I can do it anyone can do, so here is how I learn how to do it.

1. Read all the forum posts on 7 here

2. Read intowindows by teakwindows address here in forum

3. Know your what your system is either 32 bit or 64 bit as you will want to download the right file for your system.

4. If after you've read everything and been to the microsoft windows 7 page you want to go ahead prepare before leaping forward. Get all your internet drivers disks if you have them on a disks ready. Have a blank DVD ready, and a programe to burn (copy) the installation files onto I used imgburn when I did mine.

5. Do a complete back up of your system and if possible store important files on disks or a memory stick, or even put them onto Skydrive which is a windows live application (thanks for that one AndyK I got it through your post) that way you know they'll be safe. Get a pen or pencil and pad to write down the activation key.

6. Partition your hard drive, as you do not want to install 7 onto Vista, if you do not know how to do this go to windowshelp.microsoft.com and follow the instructions there. If I can do this believe me anyone can do. Partition your drive leaving enough space for your Vista and enough for windows 7.

Once you have done this go to the Windows 7 site at Microsoft and follow the links to download 7.(either 32 or 64) You will be directed to the download page and there asked to sign in with your live id. If you haven't got one it only takes a matter of moments to get one. So as I did not confuse myself with another email and password I used my usual one without problem and was then directed to the next page. On the next page you'll get the activation key which is like what you need for vista, so write down. Then start the download. This download takes some time so go and have a drink or something, but keep checking back on how it is doing.

7. Once the download is complete copy(burn) the file to the blank dvd right away.

8. When this has completed, check that it has copied correctly. There are two ways to do this, either in Vista, or by starting an installation. I chose the latter, and let it start and that is when I found a problem first time around. If you have problems it is easier for you (although a right pain to download and burn again).

9. If all is well start the installation, remember that you are doing it to the partition you created and doing a clean/new not an upgrade. From then on it is exactly like Vista

10. Once the install has completed set up your internet connection and get the updates and load your anti-virus programme and then just have fun finding out all that it does.

Things to remember 7 is still in beta so do not expect perfection and unless you are completely sure of what you are doing do not use it as your main operating system. Do not upgrade to it inside Vista, and most importantly of all ANY PROBLEMS COME TO THE FORUM FOR HELP no matter how stupid you think your problem might be someone else might have the same problem or someone here can give an answer.

I AM FAR FROM AN EXPERT BUT WITH THE HELP I'VE GOTTEN HERE I MANAGED SO GIVE A GO.

This not meant to be perfect but I hope it will help someone

roraniel is offline Gold Member

Nice seti, this should help a lot of people.

rkonit is offline Gold Member

thnx Seti good compilation.

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

This is a good procedure if you want to do a "classic" installation. I chose to install W7 in a virtual partition using VirtualBox which runs like an application on the host (Vista or XP). That has a lot of advantages.
    1. No need to create an extra partition (which is very often a pain)
    2. No need to burn a W7 DVD because you can install directly from the downloaded ISO
    3. You can run W7 and e.g Vista host in parallel. You switch between the two with one click

The only little disadvantage is that W7 and the host will run a little bit slower (but not a lot) because they have to share the RAM. But if you have 3 or 4GB of RAM, the performance impact is really minimal.

James is offline Microsoft MVP

Thanks, Seti for taking the time to try Windows 7 and creating this post to help others to do so.

Jay
    Jay is offline Beginner

Thanks Seti for nice guide
    I have few questions ..i wants to install win 7 in my old pc and that i formatted and made 2 partition C and D same size ..So now if i install in C drive Vista then after vista in D drive if i install Win 7 thn duel boot menu gonna come automatically at startup or i have to do something ??
    Last question if i install Vista and win 7 duel mode this will effect on Pc perfomence or not..I mean for install two operating system

James is offline Microsoft MVP

Hi Jay,
    The dual-boot menu will be installed along with Win7. It should not impact system performance since you will only be running one operating system at a time. Hard disk access may be impacted somewhat, but keeping each OS defragged should help.
    In addition, be sure your old PC meets the minimum requirements for Win7, namely 1GB RAM.

seti is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    Thanks Seti for nice guide
    I have few questions ..i wants to install win 7 in my old pc and that i formatted and made 2 partition C and D same size ..So now if i install in C drive Vista then after vista in D drive if i install Win 7 thn duel boot menu gonna come automatically at startup or i have to do something ??
    Last question if i install Vista and win 7 duel mode this will effect on Pc perfomence or not..I mean for install two operating system
    hi Jay thanks for your comments as James says you should not suffer any performance loss I have not done so. Just remember that you must treat 7 and Vista as separate operating systems and so keep them both defraged and have your anti virus up-to-date on both. Also clean your junk files from both.

Jay
    Jay is offline Beginner

Thanks James and Seti
    So that's mean i have to install all software separately ,i mean for Vista and for Win 7 ..that mean i have to install antivirus 2 times for Vista one time and for win7 one time in 2 diffrent path .. and for defragmentation i will separately defrag both drive C and D with windows defrag program and about Junk cleaner i use Ccleaner ..need to run from both partitioned where installed Vista and Win7..am i right ??

I apologize for little-bit stupid question and ofcourse for my language

seti is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    Thanks James and Seti
    So that's mean i have to install all software separately ,i mean for Vista and for Win 7 ..that mean i have to install antivirus 2 times for Vista one time and for win7 one time in 2 diffrent path .. and for defragmentation i will separately defrag both drive C and D with windows defrag program and about Junk cleaner i use Ccleaner ..need to run from both partitioned where installed Vista and Win7..am i right ??

I apologize for little-bit stupid question and ofcourse for my language
    I would say yes because they are different systems. I think that you set some av to scan both, I know I can with my AVG and you might be able to clean from one by changing the settings with ccleaner but I am not sure about. Personally I like to do things on each system that way I know that they are done and that I've taken every precaution I can. Don't worry about your lanuage it is fine

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast