DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Thread: Gaming on Windows 7

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Cool Gaming on Windows 7

It's telling that one element of Windows 7 Microsoft isn't especially trumpeting is its gaming clout.

There's one simple reason for that - it's built on Vista, an operating system that gamers at large have spurned after all its outrageous performance promises turned out to be performance penalties instead.

So we can largely expect 7's gaming performance to be pretty much on a par with Vista's, and the recently released beta bears that out: give or take a few frames per second, benchmarks match those on the same system running Vista SP1.

It's the RAM issue that's likely to be 7's biggest boon to gamers, however. While the new OS is fundamentally an optimised version of Vista rather than a brand new platform, it's significantly more efficient, especially in terms of memory usage. This means there'll be that much more RAM optionally available to gamers, as less of it is sacrificed to the OS's bottomless stomach.

If most gamers decide they trust 7 enough to finally step away from their faithful XP, that means DirectX 10 (although Win 7 introduces DX11, it won't be the major shift that 10 was from 9 and, importantly, it'll also be available for Vista) will be that much more established.

While most current games run solidly and developers working on upcoming titles have most of 2009 in which to ensure maximum 7 friendliness before the OS's retail launch, there's a worrying chance some older titles will remain unpatched and only partially functional.

In the end, though, Windows 7's main appeal to dedicated gamers is that it's simply a more pleasant place to be than Vista ever was. It looks better, it loads quicker, it's more responsive and it gets in your face a whole lot less. It may not offer gamers much that's new, and it's certainly not going to revolutionise performance, but as a nippy, cheerful background platform to launch games from, it's probably Microsoft's strongest-ever hand.

Source.

Has anyone tried gaming on Windows 7 and how has the experience been ?

Buffers is offline New Member

HappyAndyK said : Has anyone tried gaming on Windows 7 and how has the experience been ?

Games seem to be a bit of a no-no , at least on 64 bit win 7. Surprisingly even a Microsoft Games for Windows offering fails to even start up , far less run . I refer to the brand new Fallout 3 game. Delivered down my chimmly by Santa, the game installs without errors but simply does not start up.... Thank goodness for the dual-boot-elves ...runs like a dream on old XP. Win 7 - great OS . Fallout 3 - great game . Pity they "Fallout" with each other Must admit though , I had the same problems in 64bit Vista ... Never mind ,gamers ,I'm sure it will all be sorted out by release

Setup: Intel quad core Q6600 . 4GB Ram .. Nvidia 8800GT 512Mb.
    Last edited by Buffers; 26th January 2009 at 00:38.

Giz
    Giz is offline Beginner

I've got Cod4 and Cod5 running on Vista 64 without problems, so I've just tried Call of Duty 4 on Windows7 64bit. It installed fine with no errors and started up OK with the menu and options.
    Joining a server on line though i got kicked by punkbuster after 10 seconds with an error - disallowed driver . Not seen that before on Vista. I shut Windows firewall down and tried again. Same kick. Shutting everything down in the background and AVG anti virus, same kick.
    The 8800gt card driver was downloaded automatically when i installed Windows7, so i updated to the latest from Nvidia. Still being kicked for disallowed driver.
    Latest punkbuster is downloaded, updated and running without problems in Services.
    Anyone got Cod4 or 5 to run in multiplayer on Windows7?

dmudgal is offline Windows Enthusiast

almost every game worked for me except fallout 3

iMav is offline Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Buffers View Post
    HappyAndyK said : Has anyone tried gaming on Windows 7 and how has the experience been ?
    32 bit gaming has been found to give a recognizable FPS boost.

knightrider™ is offline Gold Member

GTA 4 gave 10fps more with the new patch on my friends pc..

Giz
    Giz is offline Beginner

knightrider™:
    GTA 4 gave 10fps more with the new patch on my friends PC..
    Is that on a 32 or 64bit system?

iMav:
    32 bit gaming has been found to give a recognizable FPS boost.
    Is that true, and any idea why? So i would be better installing 32bit Windows on my 64 system for games?

I don't doubt you iMav, just curious. Has anyone here ran both 32 and 64 bit on the same PC and tested fps back to back?

knightrider™ is offline Gold Member

its on Win 7 32 bit..

iMav is offline Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Giz View Post
    knightrider™:
    Is that on a 32 or 64bit system?

iMav:
    Is that true, and any idea why? So i would be better installing 32bit Windows on my 64 system for games?

I don't doubt you iMav, just curious. Has anyone here ran both 32 and 64 bit on the same PC and tested fps back to back?
    Well, the reason i mentioned 32 bit was because the friends who have tried have done it on 32 bit. My belief is 64 bit too will give you the same performance.

Kamilpaul is offline New Member

I play FlyFF. I had Windows XP and this game ran perfectly when i installed Windows 7 32bit my first problem i couldnt load the Game Guard becuase of a reason i dont know, then my friend told me the only way to run this game is in 64bit and i had to put the GameGuard.des in my FlyFF folder everytime after patching to be loaded, So i do that the game is good till i start playing , in game it doesnt repsond right away and doesnt run smootly like it did in XP. Is my computer the problem or Windows 7?